Higher ABV with midwest kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OwenH89

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my first batch of home brew (waiting for more bottles) but want to take it a little further than the brew-by-numbers kit that I got. I have the Irish stout extract kit from Midwest and was already planning on spicing it up with some coffee/chicory but, if possible, want to beef up the ABV as well.

What are the tricks to higher gravity? Is it yeast? Fermentation time? More sugars in the wort? This noob is still learning and needs help planning...

LME or DME are the way to do it, but you'd also have to add more hops to keep it balanced. I wouldn't add too much though, or it just won't be the same beer. Irish stouts need to finish dry to taste right. If you want something more beefy, try their imperial stout kit, it's excellent.

If you didn't mind fewer bottles, just add less water to make a 4 galling batch from that kit.

Considering I am by even close to having enough bottles, I wouldn't mind at all. So you are saying just add less water when topping off the fermenter before I pitch to make a 4 gallon batch?

Yes. Just add less top off water. Everything else should stay in balance.

LME or DME are the way to do it, but you'd also have to add more hops to keep it balanced. I wouldn't add too much though, or it just won't be the same beer. Irish stouts need to finish dry to taste right. If you want something more beefy, try their imperial stout kit, it's excellent.

This. I wouldn't try changing things up much on your first beer. Brew it as is. Leaving out top off water will up the gravity but it will also leave you with a thicker beer in the end. If you up the gravity you need to up the hops to balance things out.

Yeah you're right. I am getting excited and ahead of myself on this one. I will brew as is for my first. Thanks for the reality check

I am not saying you shouldn't adjust things or modify things, just do it a little later on when you have a better understanding of what will happen instead of just changing thing haphazardly.

I agree. If it's your first brew just do it w/what came in the kit. Don't add anything till you have a good feeling for brewing.

Back