High Temps Late in Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering if higher fermentation temperatures later in fermentation affect the beer less than if the higher temps occurred earlier in fermentation?

Reason I ask is that I had a Kolsch fermenting at around 64*F for about 10 days. Then the temps crept up to around 70*F for a couple of days then dropped back off to around 67*. I currently have the beer lagering at around 39*. The whole problem was that I do not have a heat element installed in my fermentation chamber yet and it was too cold in garage to ferment there. So this was done in a closet in the house. I am just curious if the spike in temp that late in fermentation will not be as bad. Any input to ease my mind would be appreciated :)

-Klink

:mug:

An average gravity ale is usually done fermenting in 3-4 days and done conditioning a day or two after that. After 10 days, it's already beer and you can treat it just like the finished product.

Also, it's actually beneficial to let the temperatures creep up (within reason) toward the end of fermentation. It helps keep the yeast active and cleaning up whatever compounds they made when the sugars are all gone. So, you did it just about right.

Higher temps after initial fermentation aren't as critical as during initial fermentation. The spike wasn't that high,so it should be alright since you're in the lagering phase now.

Let your mind be eased.
High temps early in fermentation, especially during the 'lag phase' while yeast are rapidly multiplying can lead to off-flavor compounds and fusel alcohol production. But high temps late in fermentation can actually be beneficial by keeping the yeast active as they normally start to slow down. That's the reason behind the Diacetyl rest in lager production, and can help ales fully attenuate and clean up byproducts as well.
My SOP is to raise the temp. by 3-5 degrees when visible signs of fermentation are about done. Works for me.... :mug:

Back