High SRM Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra

Reaction score
Anyone ever made a high SRM (>7) hazy ipa, or know of a commercial example? I feel like all I can ever find are pictures of traditional looking hazy beers or oxidized disaster beers.

I want to go pretty high in Munich malt on a hazy ipa for a flavor experiment, but I can’t find many good examples. Is over 7 SRM on a hazy going to look like mud? In my experience the haze usually makes beers appear brighter than if everything in suspension falls out.

Imo, "opaque" becomes visually unpalatable with increasing SRM. When I cobble up a hazy IPA recipe I am keen on keeping the grain bill uber light just to avoid any resemblance to oxidized beer. I shoot for 5 SRM or lower which means being selective wrt base malt.

I want the result to "glow"...

1657075369538.jpeg

Cheers!

Nothing stopping you from trying some Munich and experimenting. IMO, I don't want a darker hazy neipa. Even if I know the color comes from the malt, it's just not pleasing to the eyes after chasing "the glow" as @day_trippr just mentioned.

Most brewers are shooting for the opposite. Going from a mostly 2 Row base to Pilsner malt, and every combo you can think of to preserve the malt backbone, but keep the color light.

This doesn’t look appetizing, it looks oxidized:
AC3C78E2-4AB1-4F72-A2F3-F97135FB7A81.jpeg

It’s quite fresh, though, with the color coming from a fairly dark crystal rye (which I love and can’t help myself from using in everything.). It’s delicious, but it sure doesn’t look it. Probably won’t do this again…

I've produced several hazy IPAs around an SRM of 8-9 (16-18 EBC), but probably wouldn't want to go much further.
This was the latter IIRC:

PXL-20211113-142745930-PORTRAIT-2.jpg

Not the most flattering colour, but not too bad. These days I tend to push for about 6 SRM as I like a distinct orange hue in my hazies.

Everyone already gave you great advice. You can certainly do it and if process is correct you’ll produce a great beer but it won’t look good. Why not just making it clear(er) or a hoppy red ale, that way you can utilize the malt bill you want and still hop it

This doesn’t look appetizing, it looks oxidized:
View attachment 774150
It’s quite fresh, though, with the color coming from a fairly dark crystal rye (which I love and can’t help myself from using in everything.). It’s delicious, but it sure doesn’t look it. Probably won’t do this again…
I've produced several hazy IPAs around an SRM of 8-9 (16-18 EBC), but probably wouldn't want to go much further.
This was the latter IIRC:

PXL-20211113-142745930-PORTRAIT-2.jpg

Not the most flattering colour, but not too bad. These days I tend to push for about 6 SRM as I like a distinct orange hue in my hazies.
Wow thanks everyone for the picures, this is exactly what I was looking for! I have a recipe w/ Munich prepared that is coming out around 8 SRM that I might still give a go. I'll try to post a picture when I get it finished up!

Back