High SG on RIS after 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbambuti

Reaction score
I have an RIS that has been fermenting for one week. OG was 1.085. I pitched two packets of rehydrated US-05 and had great fermentation going for 3 or 4 days, with a little blow off as well. My basement was a bit cold, so I moved it upstairs for the warmer temps. It's been sitting at about 65 degrees for the last few days. While brewing today, I checked the SG on this batch and it's at about 1.032. I've done this brew more than once before, and it's ended at about 1.022. I've usually not checked the gravity until about 2 weeks or so, so this could very well be my issue. I swirled the bucket to rouse the yeast, put the airlock back on, and put it back in the closet. I'm hoping that things will finish up this way. Just wondering if it's stuck, or going to drop 10 more points. A few points wouldn't worry me, and I'm not really worried yet. Just wondering what others think of this scenario.

Thanks.

I have an RIS that has been fermenting for one week. OG was 1.085. I pitched two packets of rehydrated US-05 and had great fermentation going for 3 or 4 days, with a little blow off as well. My basement was a bit cold, so I moved it upstairs for the warmer temps. It's been sitting at about 65 degrees for the last few days. While brewing today, I checked the SG on this batch and it's at about 1.032. I've done this brew more than once before, and it's ended at about 1.022. I've usually not checked the gravity until about 2 weeks or so, so this could very well be my issue. I swirled the bucket to rouse the yeast, put the airlock back on, and put it back in the closet. I'm hoping that things will finish up this way. Just wondering if it's stuck, or going to drop 10 more points. A few points wouldn't worry me, and I'm not really worried yet. Just wondering what others think of this scenario.

Thanks.

I think you did about all you could do at this point (swirling the yeast). Like you said, give it a few more days and then start worrying.. Funny how many homebrewing problems work themselves out on their own, given enough time. Good luck.

Still stuck at 1.030 after two weeks. Already rehydrated and repitched, to no avail. I guess I'll wait until my DIPA is done in a couple of weeks and rack onto that cake. RIS tastes ok, just don't want bottle bombs if it's not actually finished.

Update:

My gravity was still at 1.030 after 4 weeks. Tastes ok, albeit a little sweeter than I like. Wanting to avoid any bottle bombs, I bottled my DIPA and then racked the RIS onto the yeast cake on Saturday. The airlock is floating a little, so I know that some CO2 is being produced, and I'm not expecting much, as the SG only has to drop 8-10 pts. I'll check the gravity this weekend, but am hopeful that this will fix my issue. Might even add some favorable notes to the beer (fingers crossed).

One downside to fermenting in buckets; I can't actually see what's going on, but signs are good.

Update:

I let this go another week on the DIPA yeast cake. SG dropped a couple of points, but no more. It's obviously finished, so I went ahead and bottled. It tastes pretty good.

I've read that others have made this basic recipe from a NB kit and also stopped at about 1.032. I used dark liquid extract from NB, so I'm wondering if this particular batch of extract had more unfermentable sugars in it for some reason. I've used the same extract before, and it ended about 10 pts. lower. Everything else in my process was the same, so it's the only thing I can put my finger on. Either way, it tastes good, so I'm not worried about it.

Two weeks in the bottle and had a tester. Tastes very good, with all residual sweetness gone. I think that this one's going to turn out well after all the worries. :mug:

Glad to hear it turned out well... I use a wit ale yeast (wlp400) with an oatmeal stout and have to give her a swirl every couple days to keep the magic happening

Back