High pressure keg equalizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Marsh_Brewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have the worst problem a brewer can have, too many full kegs and not enough CO2 connections in my Keezer...

So I am trying to figure out a method to pressurize a keg, disconnect it from CO2 and allow it to equilibrate to a desired pressure and # of volumes of CO2. I'm looking for a little help with it to see if anyone else is doing it.

here's what I am thinking and please tell me if I'm crazy.

The goal is to get ~2.5 vol CO2 at 12psi at 40F. So if I were to say, pressurize a keg to 60psi at 40F that has zero Vols of CO2 in it, and then disconnect it from pressure and let it equilibrate, what would it equilibrate to?

I know that this is possible, because, you know, science. But I haven't had much experience with these sorts of calculations, or if it is practical, or if there is something I don't know about that would ruin the beer by doing this.

Thanks for the help on this one

While it is possible, I don't think it is likely to work for you. Firstly, the head space would have to be precisely known so you would be sure how much gas you are puttting in the keg. Secondly, with the relatively small head space, the pressure required would be very high, perhaps over the kegs limit.

A secondary regulator at a higher temp is the easiest way to force carb at room temps that I am aware of....

You can also just prime the keg that won't fit in the keezer and let it carbonate naturally. I use about 2.5-2.75 oz of sugar for a full keg.

Hey all,

So I have the worst problem a brewer can have, too many full kegs and not enough CO2 connections in my Keezer...

So I am trying to figure out a method to pressurize a keg, disconnect it from CO2 and allow it to equilibrate to a desired pressure and # of volumes of CO2. I'm looking for a little help with it to see if anyone else is doing it.

here's what I am thinking and please tell me if I'm crazy.

The goal is to get ~2.5 vol CO2 at 12psi at 40F. So if I were to say, pressurize a keg to 60psi at 40F that has zero Vols of CO2 in it, and then disconnect it from pressure and let it equilibrate, what would it equilibrate to?

I know that this is possible, because, you know, science. But I haven't had much experience with these sorts of calculations, or if it is practical, or if there is something I don't know about that would ruin the beer by doing this.

Thanks for the help on this one

The amount of pressure you end up with is based on the ratio of head space to total keg size. One charge of 60 psi into .5 gallons of headspace will end up around 6 psi. If the second charge is done after equilization, it should end up at 11.2 psi because you actually only added 52 psi MORE to the space which averages down per the ratio.

In any case, it's perfectly viable and even two shots gets you very close.

The amount of pressure you end up with is based on the ratio of head space to total keg size. One charge of 60 psi into .5 gallons of headspace will end up around 6 psi. If the second charge is done after equilization, it should end up at 11.2 psi because you actually only added 52 psi MORE to the space which averages down per the ratio.

In any case, it's perfectly viable and even two shots gets you very close.

Could you provide the formulas you used to calculate this please? Thanks.

How many connections short are you? It may be less hassle/easier to just buy a couple gas wyes or a manifold to split your connection more. Otherwise a multi pressure regulator may be a nice addition.

For the low cost approach, naturally carbing the kegs is definitely an option, but you will have a little extra sediment in the bottom.

i do pretty much do what your asking. i dont know the science behind it but i looked at the temperature PSI charts of room temp vs kegerator temp(my room temp is 75-80).
When i have an extra keg that i dont naturally carb(i suggest doing that too, it works great). I hit it with high psi the first time, usually 50+, then hit it again with 40-45 psi a few times(that is my equilibrium PSI to Temp)
Then when you put it in the kegerator, throw it on your serving PSI either right away or let it chill for a few hours, and it should be good to go the next day.

Back