high mash temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfore

Reaction score
Started using an insulation wrap on my kettle for mashing and I wanted to mash my Pilsner at 148* for a dryer finish but when I checked my temp. after 20 min., I was at 155*. I just left it alone and it eventually fell to 145* by the end on the 60mins. If the mash temp. is high for part of the mash, will the mash turn out more full bodied or is it an ave. for the 60 min.? Thanks.

Todd

Good question, unfortunately there isn't a simple answer. Way too many variables depending on grain crush water chemistry etc....

Did you stir well before taking temperature?

Simple answer, yes higher mash temps yield less fermentable wort.

The higher temps produce more unfermentable sugars, but as the temp drops those sugars can be converted to fermentable sugars, but at the higher temps you are denaturing the enzymes so when the temperature drops there may not be enough left to convert completely. When that happens you want to drop a couple degrees as quick as possible to salvage the beta amylase enzymes.

Did you stir thoroughly before measuring the temp?

If not, sounds like stratification - higher temps at the top, lower at the bottom, then later when you stirred it all together seemed much lower.

Latest posts

Back