high gravity lager yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I'm looking for a high gravity light flavoring clean finish as possible yeast. lager or ale is fine just trying to put a recipe together. planning on 3 lbs belgian pale, 6 lb american light, and maybe 3 lb pale ale LME/DME. hops loking at maybe saaz and goldings. wanting a light somewhat dry gut puncher for some friends. any alterations/ ideas are welcome.

Lager yeast has different kinds?!?

Mostly kidding, but I suspect the main thing for you will just be pitching a sufficiently large quantity of very healthy yeast. I've never seen a lager yeast specifically targeting high grav brews (like there are for ales), but nor is 9lb of grain and 3lb extract going to be particularly huge.

Hürlimann yeast, as WLP855 Zurich Lager or Saflager S-189, is sometimes sold as a high-gravity lager yeast.

it is going to be an all extract batch, thought about a partial to help with a few flavors, but don't think they really care about that lil extra. Will look into those lager yeasts there 944, thinking lager because most of them have the lighter crisper flavors. triples and strong ales are too spice for there taste. I always use a starter on all my brews. thanks for the help, any ideas for hops? for my american light buddies?

philhead1 said:
Will look into those lager yeasts there 944, thinking lager because most of them have the lighter crisper flavors.

Unless you intend to exceed 10% ABV, you do not need a high-gravity strain. Hürlimann brewed Samichlaus, and at 14%, it needs the extra alcohol tolerance.

come to think of it, thats pretty much what I'm putting together in my head. wanting to hit 10- 12%. thanks guys going to look up a few recipes now.

Back