High Gravity and BeerSmith2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul_111

Reaction score
Hi All;

I just finished my third 1.5-gallon biab batch. It was the first batch for which I milled and weighed the grain, so I know I followed the amounts in the recipe exactly, as opposed to the guy at my LHBS who weighted out the first 2 (not doubting his ability, rather his "rounding error").

I followed recipes I found online and used BeerSmith to scale them down from 5 or 10 gallons.

All 3 of my batches had high OG. I know I can dilute to get the target OG, but I'd rather use lower amounts of ingredients (see where this is going?).

In playing with BeerSmith, it appears if total efficiency is high, the result is a higher OG. Why is the Est Mash efficiency fixed at 83%?

Is there an easy way to make a correction in the software to essentially hold the OG at a fixed value and adjust the ingredients? I know I can look at the ingredients in a percentage of batch, but is there a way to use a factor to adjust all ingredients (maintaining ratios) at once?

Thanks!
Paul

I don't do BIAB but my mash efficiency changes based on the gravity and volume numbers I enter during the brew session.

Rather than hold the OG constant, change the overall efficiency until the OG matches what you got, then use that new percentage in your recipes and the result will be that your ingredients will be decreased accordingly.

You can adjust your brewhouse efficiency under your equipment profile. The higher your efficiency, the more sugars you extract from the grains, and thus the higher your OG.

Back