High FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
So I've taken two hydromer readings 4 days apart from each other, and it only went down from 1.019 to 1.018. I was wondering if there is something wrong with the yeast or thats just normal. The first reading was after 7 days and the second one after 11 days. Should I put more yeast? Thanks

OG was 1.048
FG supposedly 1.009
Safale US-05
Mashed at 156F with a grist water ratio of 1.5
Ferm temps started as 17C for a week and now its 20C

Mashing at 156 means a fuller bodied and higher FG beer. It sounds done, and sounds ok.

So theres nothing I can do? The ABV is gonna be 4% vs the 5.2% expected.
Maybe it needs more time or a raise in the temp? The attenuation would be 62%

So theres nothing I can do? The ABV is gonna be 4% vs the 5.2% expected.
Maybe it needs more time or a raise in the temp?

No, done is done. The high mash temp means more unfermentables, but of course I don't know the recipe. Generally, if you want to hit a FG of 1.009 (pretty low), you'd need some simple sugars and/or a low mash temperature.

No, done is done. The high mash temp means more unfermentables, but of course I don't know the recipe. Generally, if you want to hit a FG of 1.009 (pretty low), you'd need some simple sugars and/or a low mash temperature.

Should I add some cane sugar then if its not too late? Im a noob with the mash temps, I was just following the specs on the yeast that said 81% of attenuation, I didnt know the mash temp would change it that much. Thanks your your help, the recipe was:

Shooting for a an APA
6 lbs canadian 2 row
1 lb of munich I
0.5 lbs of caramel 20L
0.3 oz of nugget (13.5%) at 60 and 0.3 at 15
0.5 oz of cascade (6.4) at 15 and 0.5oz at flameout
33.6 ibus

Should I add some cane sugar then if its not too late? Im a noob with the mash temps, I was just following the specs on the yeast that said 81% of attenuation, I didnt know the mash temp would change it that much. Thanks your your help, the recipe was:

Shooting for a an APA
6 lbs canadian 2 row
1 lb of munich I
0.5 lbs of caramel 20L
33.6 ibus

It's none. Mash temp is crucial, and you will know that for next time.

The beer is done. It's done- you won't get anywhere near 81% attenuation with that mash temp. It's done, and will stay done. It's ready to bottle.

Shooting for a an APA
6 lbs canadian 2 row
1 lb of munich I
0.5 lbs of caramel 20L
33.6 ibus
You can add sugar (white, corn, or dextrose; cane can add an odd taste) to beef up the ABV and maybe get a little bit of dryness. The higher mashing temp produced more non-fermentable sugars, but the yeast is still there. It will ferment pure sugar if added. I would not add in more than 1 or 2% ABV's worth though.

You could also brew a much lower FG beer and blend the 2 to get something in the middle, if you find this one just too sweet.

You can add sugar (white, corn, or dextrose; cane can add an odd taste) to beef up the ABV and maybe get a little bit of dryness. The higher mashing temp produced more non-fermentable sugars, but the yeast is still there. It will ferment pure sugar if added. I would not add in more than 1 or 2% ABV's worth though.

You could also brew a much lower FG beer and blend the 2 to get something in the middle, if you find this one just too sweet.

Lol for some reasin I didnt see the "sugar can add an odd taste" and I added a pound of that. Itll be beer anyways...

Mashing at 156 means a fuller bodied and higher FG beer. It sounds done, and sounds ok.

I pretty much agree, except that I'd wait until gravity is completely stable before bottling - yours went from 1.019 to 1.018. Yes, by now it's probably stable, but for the sake of safety, I'd wait for two identical hydrometer readings at least two days apart.

Lol for some reasin I didnt see the "sugar can add an odd taste" and I added a pound of that. Itll be beer anyways...

Apparently I wrote "cane can add..." not "cane sugar". *sigh*.
Kind of a cidery taste, because unlike other sugars, it has a few things other than glucose and fructose.

ANYWAY, I wouldn't be too worried about 1lb having much of an adverse affect on taste. Up to 33% of fermentables come from simple sugars in some styles.

Back