High FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk_Mick

Reaction score
Hi,

I made an IPA last week, i will spare the details because everything that could go wrong did. It's finished fermenting at 1.021 from 1.064, I tried moving it from a 58* room to a 65* room and nothing happened. I tried pitching a small amount (4 ounces) of honey and swirled the yeast to resuspend, same result. I tried again with the same amount of sugar and the same thing, still at 1.021. is it a good idea to try alpha amalyse? Or should I just chalk it up to experience and let it go?

Drunk_Mick said:
Hi,

I made an IPA last week, i will spare the details because everything that could go wrong did. It's finished fermenting at 1.021 from 1.064, I tried moving it from a 58* room to a 65* room and nothing happened. I tried pitching a small amount (4 ounces) of honey and swirled the yeast to resuspend, same result. I tried again with the same amount of sugar and the same thing, still at 1.021. is it a good idea to try alpha amalyse? Or should I just chalk it up to experience and let it go?

Extract or AG, either way if you tried all those things and it didn't move, it's done.

If you answer these questions we can help determine why?

OK so, it's been a week since you pitched. Give it another couple weeks, if only to be sure that the extra stuff you tossed in has been eaten. Then bottle. I would discourage the Alpha Amylase, but it's your beer. If you stick with "normal" procedures, you will learn more about how the process works than if you throw the kitchen sink at the batch.

1.021 may sound high, but it won't ruin the beer. Enjoy the result, and start planning your next beer.

The most effective ways of dealing with a high FG all happen before you pitch the yeast - a fermentable wort, a large healthy starter, good aeration.

Cheers!

What yeast? 67% attenuation is decent for some of them.

It is only a week. Give it more time.

If the recipe can stand it, I'd think about adding a pound of table sugar (dissolve in boiling water first) to help dry it out a bit. That would be about 15% by gravity, and probably drop the FG a couple of points. Before doing this, take some time to understand what it will do to the final profile of the beer.

Its was am all grain batch, I know the culprit it was stupidity amd poor temperature control. The question was posed because I never used amalayse and didnt want a beer with a ridiculously low gravity. I was shooting for a FG of 1.016 so i am only .005 off, which is still good considering how bad i f'd up. It was Nottingham, i did aerate by passing the wary back and forth between the brew pot and fermentor abou 4 times from 4 feet up. I normally pour it through a metal strainer too but I lost it during the move to my new house. I m ay throw in some more sugar , like 8-10 ounces just to bump the ABV up a little. I just didn't know if amalayse would drop the final gravity by half or just keep chuggin aong until 0. Thanks for the help guys, you are always the best place to ask.

Back