High Fermenting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibattista

Reaction score
I have a Black Imperial IPA in the secondary right now and the temp (cannot control it) has been over 70 degrees consistently throughout primary fermentation (exploded: 1.093 OG), sometimes pushing 80. What are side effects of high fermentation temps? (other than exploding)

You could get some excess esters. However, that's a pretty big beer, so it may still be ok. Do you have a tub or sink you can put your fermenter in, then fill it with ice water? Maybe a friend with a basement that stays cooler for a couple weeks?

Hercher - I actually put the primary ferm. bucket in a ice water bath to bring it down the day after the brew. My neighbor is creating a fermenting cooler as we speak, but temperature control in our century home is a *****.

Well that will ferment ok pretty high I think compared to some. Maybe just put a wet towel and a fan on the thing and keep up the ice bath. I would be able to live with 75F but I think 80 will get you some 'hot' flavor to the beer. Especially if you ferment it all the way out that high.

Back