High ABV kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle2227

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to these forums and home brewing. I would like to start out with grain brewing because I am reading they have some high alcohol contents which :mug: :) I was wondering if you guys could tell me where online I could buy a grain homebrewing kit for under $150? I found this beginner homebrewing kit but I highly doubt it's for grain Amazon.com: Basic Homebrew Kit for Home Made Beer: Everything Else I am basically going for high alcohol content. It does not have to be all grain but whatever type of brew that would give me in the 7-10% alcohol range. The higher the better. I found a good sounding Scotch Heavy Ale Amazon.com: Scotch Heavy Ale All Grain Advanced Homebrew Beer Ingredient Kit: Everything Else and it says it has a very high alcohol content. My cousin is big into beer and I want to show him I can make a nice beer that has a high aocohol content:) Thanks for the information all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things
1) AG does not automatically give you higher alcohol content, the amount of fermentables does. You can get alcohol contents as high using extract.
2) You are going to struggle to find all the equipment for AG brewing for less than $150
3) Look at Austin Homebrew Supply, Northern Brewer, Midwest Brewing, Morebeer. All websites that offer equipment kits and ingredients. I have never heard of anybody bying stuff like that from Amazon
4) It is illegal to brew in the US if you are under 21

If you simply want high alcohol content, you could just buy some apple juice, add 3 pounds of sugar and some wine yeast and have a high alcohol drink that will save you time and money.

If you want to make a good beer, you could do it with extract or all-grain. All-grain isn't difficult, but there are many steps and precision is necessary as far as temperature control. You must be able to boil 6.5 gallons of wort, to make a 5 gallon batch.

Extract beer can make great beer- and at whatever alcohol content you choose.

I suggest you read howtobrew.com (it's an online version of a book I have at home) and do some reading before you dive into all-grain brewing just so you can get a bigger buzz.

Also, keep in mind that brews with a higher ABV take longer to age. That Scothch Ale you're looking at needs at least 6 months to mature. As a new brewer, you'd do yourself a favor to read How to Brew, learn the hows and whys, and start off with simpler recipes that don't need to age as long.

Back