Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm1473

Reaction score
So--I have been brewing a lot of boring stuff lately--not bad--just boring--no matter how I try to make it interesting it turns out boring--I am sure you have been there. Anyway--last week AHS had that Pink IPA on sale and I figured "What the heck--lets give that a shot--that cant be boring--girly maybe but not boring". Well, it comes with Hibiscus. I found a few threads on here about it that say it is better dry hopped but the recipe calls for it at 15mins. So--my questions are as follows:

1) What flavor does hibiscus add??
2) Should I use it as a dry hop or follow the recipe or maybe add at 5 mins instead of 15 mins
3) It came with 4oz but only calls for 2oz--should I throw it all in there because it is here or would that taste like eating a bouquet of flowers.

The recipe is:

10lb 2-row
1lb Crystal 20
1oz magnum at 60
1oz palisade at 15
1oz palisade at 5

Anyway--thanks for the help. This beer may suck but at least there is no way this one will be boring!!

Hibiscus is tart as all hell. Definitely will not tast flowery at all. I actually used to drink a lot of hibiscus iced tea. With a little sugar, it was the ultimate sweet tart. the flavor was a little earthy, with a hint of fruitiness, almost like red wine. but that could have been from the extreme tartness.

Seems an odd addition for a beer though. The tartness of it always reminded me of a wine with a lot of tannins in it.

In my experience with hibiscus (not in beer, just in general) a little goes a long way. I know I'm fairly sensitive to it as well. As the other poster mentioned, it's tart, but I get a tannic-like mouthfeel as well. I would def only add 2 oz, and as you mentioned would add it later in the boil. If it were me, I think I would throw it in at flameout. But if nothing else, just follow the kit.

I made a 'Bloody' saison with it once. I don't have any details here. Thought it would produce an interesting beer.

It was one of the most boring beers I have made. Took a long time to get through.

If done right it can turn out very well. I have had a beer from stone that was great that was made with it. My friend at my local brew shop has brewed with it and has done all with it. It ferments really really slow I say again really really slow haha! I would go for it and keep experimenting with it. Sorry I don't have much info just encouragement. Good luck cheers

It's interesting they would do an IPA with hibiscus. Boulevard makes a fantastic gose with hibiscus as a seasonal, I see it lending it much more to that style than an IPA.

Back