Hi!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New here, brewed years ago in college, bought a renovation house, got married, had kids, got divorced, and finally have two pennies to rub together. :)

I have to thank my dad because if it wasn't for him going into house flipping i wouldn't be here.

He bought a house with a Beverage-Air in the garage. i had a few corney kegs from a fast food place i worked at in the early 90's because they switched to bags of syrup so it kind of kicked me in the butt to find local breweries who would fill them.

I started with the standard kegerator kit for a spare fridge in my basement mid winter planning to use the commercial unit in the summer.

Despite being in an abandoned garage for 5 yrs it still worked.
I had to clean out the mouse nests and scrub the evaporator and everything else with lots of bleach type cleaner and polish the stainless but it's on my covered porch right now holding corny kegs and random beer cans people leave at the house for parties.
still needs proper taps. which i've ordered.

i have two picnic taps and an air pump sanke tap made by anheiser bush i got off ebay with a tap built in that i converted to co2 in it.

barnyard engineering at it's best. :)

on tap now, local brewery Flying Bison Buffalo lager", "labatte grapefruit" (hey it's $30 for a 1/6th here and really good on a hot day while working outside ) and some "hard cider"(first brewing attempt in 20yrs) i made that people actually like but it's a little strong (10% Which i've been drinking tonight) so next batch will use less honey.

I have some hard lemonade percolating away.

that's about it for now.

and some "hard cider"(first brewing attempt in 20yrs) i made that people actually like but it's a little strong (10% Which i've been drinking tonight) so next batch will use less honey.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, so forgive me if you've already thought of this - but cider tends to dry out a whole lot, so if you want it to be nice and sweet, don't use too much less honey, just arrest fermentation with potassium sorbate once you reach your desired gravity.

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

I'm probably preaching to the choir, so forgive me if you've already thought of this - but cider tends to dry out a whole lot, so if you want it to be nice and sweet, don't use too much less honey, just arrest fermentation with potassium sorbate once you reach your desired gravity.

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

yeah, i kinda knew that from reading but still let it go to nothing because i didn't really understand what i was doing.
next batch is in the bucket and looking at something around 6% so i can enjoy more than a glass or two at a time.

Back