Saison Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe calls for dried hibiscus flowers...and be careful not to get sweetened ones! I found mine at a local Middle Eastern market, but there are online sources as well. If you use prepacked tea bags, I don't see a problem, as long as there aren't preservatives or anything chemical, but any other added ingredients will, of course, affect the flavor...maybe good, maybe not. If you like the tea, you'll probably like the beer, but no guarantee.

Yea I'll look into the ingridents on the tea alittle further the tea is really good and from how everyone describes the saison it hit me when I was drinking it over the weekend lol, I'll look for
Hibiscus flowers tho too

Would the tazo tea bag with hibiscus and some other herbs and spices work the tea is pretty tasty but wasn't sure if there was something i should look out for with using a boxed tea bag pre packaged? Think this is the next one up on the brew deck

Fwiw, I have used that tea in a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. It turned out great.

How many bags and how much liquid to gal ratio did you use by chance?

It's been a while and I don't have my notes handy. But I'm pretty sure I used 1 tea bag per gallon. I made a strong low volume (like 2-3 cups) tea and added that to the fermenter.

I’m putting this on my to-brew list next in line, but I was hoping to get answers to a couple of questions. How is it that this recipe only needs a 60 minute boil and not 90 minutes to evaporate the DMS precursors? Is the 90 minute boil an antiquated idea with modern malts?

I also wanted to ask about yeast. I’ve only ever made saison’s with Wyeast 3724 or WLP 565 (I’ve read they are the same strain). I know they have a finicky reputation, but I’ve always had luck with ramping the temperature up slowly to mid/upper 80s and leaving them in primary for a month. Has anyone made this recipe with 3724 or 565? Do you recommend the Belle yeast instead simply for easier fermentation or for flavor?

Thanks for any thoughts you have on these subjects.

I had the same concerns about the length of boil so I hedged my bets and did a 75 min boil, haha.

I've not tried the other yeasts, but if you use the belle, beware than it attenuates like crazy. Mine went down to 1.002 from 1.05-something. Came in at 8%. I like my saisons on the dry side, so that's good, but next time I'll back down the OG to have an easier drinker.

Speaking of which, it was a hit at my 4th of July party yesterday. My guests drank about 4.5 gallons of it!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436143891.890562.jpg

Thanks for the reply Wobrien. I'm looking for a really dry, tart saison and it sounds like this recipe fits the bill. I also love the way it looks in everyone's pictures.

I made a 1gal test batch to figure out if I liked it. I do! I would like to tweak the recipe I followed for ABV and IBU since it came out at >8% and more malty than I was expecting. Pitched 2.2g Belle Saison at 72F and let it free rise to 78F. It settled down to 73F after 5 days so I dry hopped at that point. The aroma is incredible.

Title: Hi Nelson! Saison - 1Gal
Author: Fuzzymittenbrewing

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.019
Efficiency: 69% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.003
ABV (standard): 8.31%
IBU (tinseth): 34.69
SRM (morey): 4.59

FERMENTABLES:
35.2 oz - Belgian - Pilsner (84.6%)
3.2 oz - German - Munich Light (7.7%)
1.6 oz - Flaked Oats (3.8%)
1.6 oz - Flaked Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.1 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: First Wort, IBU: 20.95
0.15 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 13.74
0.32 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 0.98 gal, 165.7 strike temp
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 1.25 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 c. - hibiscus flower tea, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Danstar - Belle Saison Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 97%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 63 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 80 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

If I want half the ABV, should I scale all the grains by 50%?

Same with the FWH; if I double the amount in BF, the IBU doubles and puts the IBU near the original recipe. However, will half the ABV cause an increase the perception of bitterness?

FWIW, 30 IBU was too much for me in my first APA which is why I used less FWH hops for the test batch.

Hot 1.078 og can't wait best tasting sample I ever pulled blow off on and ready for belle to go nuts

So pitched at 730 around 70f was worried I pitched to cool well three hours later with rehydrating the yeast for 20-30 mins it's fermenting already in 4hrs in the chamber I'm amazed by this yeast you guys weren't lien can't wait for this one

Celebration beer.
I finally entered a homebrew competition for the first time. It was the LA County Fair Homebrew competition hosted by the Maltose Falcons. I entered my version of @fuzzymittenbrewing hibiscus saison. I changed the grain bill a bit and brewed it with citra. Well, I placed third. Not too shabby.

View attachment 294204View attachment 294205

Congrats, that's awesome!

So... I have been through the thread a few times over many different occasions. What is the favored hibiscus:water ratio, and how much do you generally add to the beer? I have mine fermenting and I need to pick some up soon so I can make it right and tasty.

So... I have been through the thread a few times over many different occasions. What is the favored hibiscus:water ratio, and how much do you generally add to the beer? I have mine fermenting and I need to pick some up soon so I can make it right and tasty.

I use a little more than half a gallon of water with 8oz of the hibiscus flowers steeped. I pour the liquid and flowers through a funnel with a screen. Total amount in the carboy is probably a little over 1/3 of a gallon. They absorb a lot of water, but the color of the tea is pretty intense.

I use a little more than half a gallon of water with 8oz of the hibiscus flowers steeped. I pour the liquid and flowers through a funnel with a screen. Total amount in the carboy is probably a little over 1/3 of a gallon. They absorb a lot of water, but the color of the tea is pretty intense.

Thank you.

So with the tazo tea I'm thinking two bags steeped in 64oz of boiled water when we make it for lemonade it is 32oz s cut with 32 oz of lemonade and still pretty potent, or do you think I could go with less water and add 2 bags so it's not diluting this amazing 9% easiest drinking high gravity sample ever

So with the tazo tea I'm thinking two bags steeped in 64oz of boiled water when we make it for lemonade it is 32oz s cut with 32 oz of lemonade and still pretty potent, or do you think I could go with less water and add 2 bags so it's not diluting this amazing 9% easiest drinking high gravity sample ever

Depends. If you're talking normal teabags, I think you're going to get less color and flavor than you should. If you're talking about the mega bags Starbucks uses in their iced tea pitchers, then you're ok. If you go to ANY Mexican grocery, they will have a big bag of jamaica (for agua de jamaica) for less than $5.

If I could get ahold of the mega bags you think 2 bags in 32 would be good to go

Definitely. They'd probably charge you for like 10 Venti Passion Teas though.

Seriously, visit a Mexican grocery store. $3-$4 max.........

I'm in a small town in central pa no Mexican stores lol, would an all natural store have them you think?

I'm in a small town in central pa no Mexican stores lol, would an all natural store have them you think?

I went searching late last week. Weirdly I had a hard time of it. Couldnt find it in the Asian stores, or latin stores. I blam the fact that I only can read english and the 26 letter alphabet. I finally found them in 4 oz packages in a middle eastern market.

Only then did I think that places like World Market, etc might have it as well. All natural stores may have it, or could possibly point you in the right direction. Otherwise check out ethnic stores and dont be afraid to ask (I asked and the very helpful lady behind the ocunter told me to turn around as I was standing right in front of it).

I went searching late last week. Weirdly I had a hard time of it. Couldnt find it in the Asian stores, or latin stores. I blam the fact that I only can read english and the 26 letter alphabet. I finally found them in 4 oz packages in a middle eastern market.

Only then did I think that places like World Market, etc might have it as well. All natural stores may have it, or could possibly point you in the right direction. Otherwise check out ethnic stores and dont be afraid to ask (I asked and the very helpful lady behind the ocunter told me to turn around as I was standing right in front of it).

I found my hibiscus flowers in a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean store also. If you have to, though, you can find sources online. I think it has been mentioned on this thread previously to make sure you don't order the "candied" version that is eaten like a snack.

How do you see 2.11 oz of dry Hibiscus Flowers in 5 gallons of wort? Enough?
This weekend I wanna to drop the infisusion

How do you see 2.11 oz of dry Hibiscus Flowers in 5 gallons of wort? Enough?
This weekend I wanna to drop the infisusion

I used 5 bags of the tea mixture flavor is amazing and color is just not as dark as the op I wouldn't use only one bag lol that would be a waste

Attached is a pic of the hibiscus tea before I siphoned from the fermenter into my bottling bucket. The color of the tea is less intimidating as I made my second batch. I had serious concerns making the tea for my first batch. I have not been able to find the hibiscus red button to adjust the color in beersmith. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440398004.961741.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440398019.945408.jpg FG was 1.04 using Wyeast 3711 in this batch.

The tea was made with 8oz hibiscus and a half gallon of water

Brewing as I type. Wasn't able to get Nelson hops. Went with Citra instead also they didn't have cane sugar got corn sugar instead

Brewing as I type. Wasn't able to get Nelson hops. Went with Citra instead also they didn't have cane sugar got corn sugar instead

I love Citra, but it is nothing like the Nelson. (You do know that cane sugar is just plain ol' white sugar, right? Remember to adjust the amount of sugar for the corn sugar. Not trying to sound condescending... just don't know your experience level. Probably been brewing twice as long as I have.

I've been brewing for 3 years 3rd all grain besides biab method. I will take that into mind thanks buddy for the heads up! Man belly saison yeast is a beast!!!!! 3 hrs after brewing and already showing a decent fermentation!

Back