Hi from Sweden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torstensson

Reaction score
Hi!
Been brewing beer for about 3 years. Brewed a couple of batches of beer in my youth, not very good tasting though. Also done some Glögg which is a local drink here in Sweden, it's spiced wine similar to german gluhwein.

Likes pretty much all styles of beers and brews most of them. Haven't gone all the way with lambic, gueze and that kind of sour beer. All in time! :)

Thanks!
I have an experiment going on right now with a belgian sour, using Belgian Bastongne and adding Brettanomyces bruxellensis. Should be ready soon, made it 7 month ago.

Hello and welcome to HBT. My grandparents come from Sweden; and I have an Aunt and cousins going over in two weeks to visit relatives. Not sure where. But , Hay dare from da U.P. of Michigan! Cheers:mug:

Ok, so you're somewhat swedish then :rockin:
I think about 1,3 million swedes went to american which was about 20% of the total population in Sweden. (During 1800-1910). Most people in Sweden, including me, have relatives in USA, I don't have any idea where they live though.

Cheers!

Welcome... my wife is from Malmo! Been their 4 times and going back in October. Beautiful area of the world! I just bottled my 1 year old Lambic... it was interesting when I opened the ale pail to say the least lol.

Hi!
Been brewing beer for about 3 years. Brewed a couple of batches of beer in my youth, not very good tasting though. Also done some Glögg which is a local drink here in Sweden, it's spiced wine similar to german gluhwein.

Likes pretty much all styles of beers and brews most of them. Haven't gone all the way with lambic, gueze and that kind of sour beer. All in time! :)

Welcome! Glögg recipe please:D

Thanks all!

If you're going to Malmö you should visit the brewery: http://www.malmobrygghus.se/
Tasted their IPA, DIPA and Pale Ale last year and they where really good! I do believe the have a pub at the brewery.

I will get back with the recipe för glögg.

Welcome emercaughfield!

You asked for recipe

Glögg (The brew edition)

Ingredients:
5 liter Svagdricka (Probably doesn’t exist outside nordics, recipe below)
2,5 kg Sugar
250 gr raisins
5 sliced ​​potatos
Yeast that can ferment at least 15%
5 cm Ginger
100 grams cardamom seeds
100 grams cloves

Add all ingredients to a bucket/demijohn and add yeast.
Note: No need to measure OG, something in the recipe makes the hydrometer show strange values. But do measure FG to see when the fermentation iis finished.

Store for a least 3 months, tastes best after 2 years storage. Can probably be stored for about 3-4 years.

Before you drink it heat it up on the on the stove to about 75 C - 90 C. Drink it in small coffe cups.

History:
From the beginning it was just heated wine with added spices. Used for medical reasons to get better health. Could also been done because the wine had gotten sour. Has been a x-mas tradition since 1890.

Svagdricka
Its similar to a dark small beer. Haven’t seen it outside of Sweden but i wouldn’t be surprised if it exists in similar form. Traditionally drunk during december. Its about 2%

Recipe:

Mash in: 72C (makes a lot of non-fermentable sugars)
Measured Final Gravity: 1,021 SG
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 2,21 %

2,70 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC) Grain 72,97 %
0,30 kg C-Dark Crystal Malt (300,0 EBC) Grain 8,11 %
0,25 kg Carafoam/Carapils/Dextrine (3,8 EBC) Grain 6,76 %
0,20 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98,5 EBC) Grain 5,41 %
0,15 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630,4 EBC) Grain 4,05 %
0,10 kg Special B Malt (300,0 EBC) Grain 2,70 %
18,00 gm Target [11,40 %] (50 min) Hops 22,0 IBU
1,00 ml Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)
2,00 gm Salt (Mash 60,0 min)
4,00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60,0 min)
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Non-fermentable sweetener needs to be added. About 4 Hermesetas/liter

The easy way
If you want to do glögg according to old customs use above spices for glögg and add to wine then add some whiskey or vodka.

Tjena! Laget?

I recently moved to Seattle after living in Stockholm the last two years. Before moving from the US to Stockholm, I mostly drank Coors Light. It wasn't until living in Sweden that I finally got a taste for good, strong beer. Now I'm brewing my own in Seattle.

Lycka till!

Back