Hey Gang, it's "Moot" not "Mute"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irregardless of what you all say, I agree with the OP. Also too, I think I'm smarter than everyone.

You can distract yourself from these grammar issues by going off to brew a Belgium Ale......

I prefer an Indian Pale Ale instead. :mug:

The thing I don't understand is when someone starts a thread and they make absolutely no sense. How can we answer your question when we don't know what you are saying. Usually they are one line posts like, "When I throw the yeast carboy when do I know?"

grammar_nazis____the_motivator_by_zlayahozyayka.jpg

(but you are right) :)

Seek Kyle!
Seek Kyle!

Ya brought out my inner grammar nazi.

Mute means unable to speak

Moot means irrelevant

Just been seeing it on here a bunch recently and we are better than that people, come on!

rant over

:mug:

Drives me crazy too! My biggest peeve is when people say ideal when they mean idea. My boss does this everyday and I don't want to be a ****** and correct him. I'll ask him what he thinks of something and he replies " I have no ideal"

ARRGHH

Ironically, the first definition of the word "moot" is "subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision".

So common sense (not cents) would lead me to believe that a "moot point" is a point that should be argued.

However, English majors disagree...

A buddy of mine recently made a Facebook post about being surprised and how the surprise "literally scared the crap outta me." Really? That must have been really embarrassing, sh**ting your pants like that.

My father, a good and decent man, drives me to distraction adding Ls where they dont belong. In reference to a side dish, my father will order an App-LA-tizer, and if he likes the way it looks he deems it App-LA-tizing.

I wont even get into the fact that he insists on using the word "secular" to mean its exact opposite. For instance, the Iranian Parliment, according to Pop, is secular.

This wouldnt be too annoying if he wasnt constantly correcting my grammar mistakes both real and imagined.

Reminds me of some Weird Al:

She was gorgeous, she was charming
Yeah, she was perfect in every way

Except she was always using the word "infer"
When she obviously meant "imply"

And I know some guys would put up with that kind of thing
But frankly, I can't imagine why

English major is fooling around with some guy when her husband walks in. He says "Helen! I'm surprised!" She replies, "Darling, I am surprised. You are astonished."

There's an otherwise wonderful song by Ryan Adams called "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc." where he sings "ek cetera."

New flight attendant on a flight I was on last night announced (as she was "reading" her cheat sheet) that "after everyone has taken their seats and deplaned, they would be closing the doors and we would take off"...

How does that work???? :D

What about saying, "I could care less..." when they mean "I couldn't care less...". I am always tempted to ask, "Exactly how much less could you care?"

I saw someone recently write "could of" instead of "could have." something like "well, I could of gone to the store instead."

I have heard otherwise brilliant, kind, generous, decent people say one little thing and I have to force myself to remember that they are brilliant, kind, generous, decent people. "Let me axe you a question." Ugh.

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce (hot rod)
Another runner in the night

Originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen, but mad famous by Manfred Mann. I think it's a great example of Bruce's lyrical abilities.

jpc said:
Wow. I was going to post, but for all intensive purposes, anything I would post has already been covered. Almost.

Isn't it "Intents and purposes" not "intensive purposes"?

I'm pretty sure it's "intensive purposes." It's a very unique phrase, ek cetera.

JonM said:
I'm pretty sure it's "intensive purposes." It's a very unique phrase, ek cetera.

Very unique indeed!

Wait, ek cetera?

Am setting hear sip’n on a Indian Pail Ail bier reading all thees rightchus poste about greymar and spilling. I beleeve yur awl ovirluuking the fax. Maxe no deffernce in how wehl a parson rites. Just asks yourselhf a querst’n. Did it maxe eny cents? Buytheweigh.. mute or moot.. That point is moo.

Ideal, mines, moms (as if they have more than one) and people who say aunt instead of ant. Some of you had to read the last part of that sentence to get it. ;)

And people who suddenly speak the language, down to an accent, when they use a foreign word.

Just sat on my computer chair and read through this thread again, then started a long silly post of my own concerning grammar. After I previewed my post;I quickly deleted it.

Grammar correct people. (GCP) I like being corrected when I destroy the English language so it doesn't bother me when you point out my infractions. This is a beer forum based on the spirit (i believe) of helping people. whether a beer recipe, equipment, DIY projects or grammar or et cetera.

All the same to me. Just people helping people which in my very humble opinion is what this particular site is all about.

Another thing, for some people on this WW site English is not their first language but they do get their point across.

Let me orientate you to the the rooms lay out.

ARGGGHHH another peeve of mine!

I agree. But what peeves me even more is that it is actually correct. Orientate is a word. Of course, it means to orient, so I have no idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea to just tack an -ate on there, but alas, someone did. GRRRRR.

Grammar correct people. (GCP) I like being corrected when I destroy the English language so it doesn't bother me when you point out my infractions. This is a beer forum based on the spirit (i believe) of helping people. whether a beer recipe, equipment, DIY projects or grammar or et cetera.

In the spirit of helping, i believe the correct term is grammatically correct people :mug:

Latest posts

Back