Hey Cincinnati homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
I was thinking of swinging by Table Top Brewing on my way home from work today, any thoughts? I usually shop at Listermanns but was thinking about checking it out.

Their website doesn't show all that many types of grain/yeast/hops in the catalog so I don't know if it'll be worth my while.

I have never been, seems a bit expensive for my wallet (I usually buy grains in bulk from listermanns)

I have met the owner a few times at beer related events and he seems eager to talk about beer. We sure are fortunate to have 3 LHBS in Cincinnati! Let us know what you think about the place.

I buy my stuff from there. The owner is a super nice guy and is eager to talk about beer. I just bought my first kit from him, and ready to brew my first beer. He has been extremely helpful in educating me up to this point. Please check out and patron Table Top Brewing. I'm confident that you will have a good experience!

I'm on the other side of town, and I shop at Paradise Brewing Supplies on Beechmont Avenue and I'm very satisfied with it. But it looks like I'll be making the trek out to explore and see what other good stores are around the area as well.

I stopped by there today on the way home from work. It was a nice little store. they had all of the grain that I needed. Not as many of the specialty grains that the big boys have, but the guys working there were great. They're extremely helpful and friendly. I met the owner and the other guy working there was the president of the Cincinnati Malt Infusers.

They had a good selection of hops, although not many of each. There liquid yeast was pretty picked over. All in all I like it better than Listermanns. Not as many types of grains, but they made up for it with customer service. Listermanns is usually lacking in that department. The guy also had 50 gallons of something aging in an bourbon barrel in the back.

If I don't order online, I'll head over there.

Oh and there's a Habor Freight right up the road where I picked up a fountain sump pump for $14 to add to my chiller.

I stopped by there today on the way home from work. It was a nice little store. they had all of the grain that I needed. Not as many of the specialty grains that the big boys have, but the guys working there were great. They're extremely helpful and friendly. I met the owner and the other guy working there was the president of the Cincinnati Malt Infusers.

They had a good selection of hops, although not many of each. There liquid yeast was pretty picked over. All in all I like it better than Listermanns. Not as many types of grains, but they made up for it with customer service. Listermanns is usually lacking in that department. The guy also had 50 gallons of something aging in an bourbon barrel in the back.

If I don't order online, I'll head over there.

I agree, Listermann's customer service sucks.

Update: While doughing in I realized that about 2-3 out of 14 pounds of 2-row looked like it hadn't been milled... I got horrible effiency and my OG was 1.060 when my target was 1.080. I asked them to mill my grain because I usually get an allergic reaction. Next time I'll look a little closer.

For anyone on the other side of the river, there also a new store called Tri-State Beer & Wine Crafting that just opened on Bankers St. in Florence. I haven't had a chance to stop by yet, but I want to check it out soon. Listermann's is a pain to get into these days with the construction on Dana Ave.

Hey fellow Cincinnatians. Just came across this thread. Been to Table Top brewing a few times. Was stoked to find it, as it's less than 10 minutes from where I live. Agree with the comments on the owener (Tom, I think) being a super nice guy. More than willing to spend all the time you need answering your questions or just talking beer. They've only been in business a little over a year. Hope they make a go of it. Really convienent for us westsiders.

hey locals, a ky transplant, but a bearcat, bengal fan at heart. been to Tri-State Beer & Wine Crafting nice new clean store, well organized. i got just enough attention not in ur face and not ignored, perfect. nice large selection of organized malts and wlp yeast. lots of brewers best (wont hold it against them)! they mill it with a brand new mill. listerman regular, get along well with chris but nice to have local store, will go back!!!

Not a paid endorsement (I wish)!!!

I started brewing in Cincy and always supported Listermanns.

I got a kit or two back in the day from jungle jims but listermanns was the spot

all the guys there rule.

give them your money

+1 Bigfoot, they have always treated me well at Listermans. It helps that I live 5 minutes from the store.

The personalities of the employees is part the uniqueness of Listermans. Chris is definitely the easiest to get straight info from but Dan, Rocky and even Chuck have all provided great advise and service.

If I understand correctly the store is transitioning from manufacturing brew tools to straight up retail store and nano brewery. Dan has been doing this stuff for a long time and knows what he is talking about even if his choice of brew style is questionable (malt liquor was probably a bad idea). Let Chris brew beer people will actually want to drink!

Hey everyone! Thanks for the info about the "newer" LHBS on the westside of town. I mainly shop at Paradise Brewing because I'm about 6 miles aways. I will sometimes drive down to Listermanns as they are open on Mondays. If anyone ever wants to split some bulk grains at Paradise let me know. They have 50lbs sacks of 2-row for $36ish. Sadly, none of my friends brew and I dont need #50 at one time. Let me know!

They will mill as well... or if you bring your grains back in when you are getting other stuff they will mill at that time.

BradleyBrew said:
Hey everyone! Thanks for the info about the "newer" LHBS on the westside of town. I mainly shop at Paradise Brewing because I'm about 6 miles aways. I will sometimes drive down to Listermanns as they are open on Mondays. If anyone ever wants to split some bulk grains at Paradise let me know. They have 50lbs sacks of 2-row for $36ish. Sadly, none of my friends brew and I dont need #50 at one time. Let me know!

They will mill as well... or if you bring your grains back in when you are getting other stuff they will mill at that time.

Will they mill the #50? If so im intrested in going in on a sack :)

I dont live close enough to stop in very often

They have 50lbs sacks of 2-row for $36ish.

Wow that seems like a good deal. Didn't see that on their web site, but maybe not looking in right spot. I've got a few extract kits to brew, then want to try BIAB. If that works out, willl need to look into the 50 pound bags.

They told me that they would mill it... I wanted to split a sack and store the grains in a 5 gallon paint bucket from lowes... when I formulate a recipe bring the bulk grains in the get milled with the specialty grains. They told me no problem... It might be a few dollars more. They either said .80 or .89 for American 2-row which is basically half price from the usual 1.59. Those guys rock + you get the brewers card for 10 dollars off on your 10th purchase of 10 or more!

I don't think they list bulk grains on their webpage. Let me know... I need some grain soon. I can hit you up with a PM with my contact info!

My LHBS up here has stopped doing bulk orders so I might just have to get in with one of you guys sometime.

Chris @ listermanns is the man!!!!
that guy can seriously brew some GREAT beers no doubt

Phil is also a really cool guy

they have been open for decades and those guys all know their stuff

as far as milling grains go *DO NOT* mill all of them

it might be a pain but only mill what you are going to use immediately

you do not want to be sitting on milled 2-row for any extended period of time

trust me on that one

I miss Listermanns but I am lucky to have an amazing shop where I live now (Oregon)

I'm not messing around either when I tell you that at least 5 brewers out here in OR

use listermanns gear too! A few have phil's phalsebottom and a bunch have the sparge arm

they guys there have been doing it for years.

where are the other cincy shops I'll check them out next time I am back in the natty

ps.

I should have signed up for HBT when I was still repping the 513 I had ZERO brewbuddys back there

Yea that was me. Was there covering the event for Treating Yourself mag.

ill add to this thread.

tabletop is the closest to me, so when I need some yeast or small gadgets that are not usually expensive I go here. they have worked with me on price a few times, and I have seen "accidents" made in shelf pricing that they adjusted for me on the spot. so far the best thing they have is 6.5 gal carboys the cheapest than any store/ online retailer I have seen.

easier to BS with than listermann, who doesnt seem overly interested in listening to homebrewers.
dont get me wrong, im sure he gets a lot of "how do I brew beer" general questions, but he seems like he tunes out a little too quick. I have struck up some interesting conversations with him about a few technical processes. to further the bulk extract at listermanns. note that every homebrew shop will have better things to go there for and one should make a mental note of them.

I frequent each shop for different things. as not one is the "best" in all categories

Back