Hermetic containers to keep the bugs out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parasonic

Reaction score
If this topic has already been brought up, please give me the search terms because I can't find it anywhere.

I have been having issues with bugs around here. It all started when I purchased a bag of Royal basmati rice at Sam's club. It's the stuff that comes in 15 or 20 pound burlap sacks. I didn't know it at the time, but there were bugs all in the rice, sealed inside the inner plastic bag. After it sat in a closet for a few months, bugs were everywhere. I threw the whole thing away and went back to Sam's, not knowing what these bugs were or where they came from, and I came back home and opened the zipper to find the exact same thing. Little beatle-like things. Right off the shelf. They aren't exactly like roaches; they're a little smaller, multiply MUCH more quickly, and are very hard to control. Roach traps have had no effect on them.

I've kept everything super-clean but still see one every now and then. Taking loosely sealed food out and putting it in rubber-sealed containers helped a lot. I'm going to wait for the first freeze and open up some windows and leave for the weekend. They actually die very quickly around 40-50 degrees. I don't like the idea of having chemicals sprayed around everywhere--a lot of the stuff is highly carcinogenic, so I'm just going to wait it out.

Until then, I need to keep my valuable grain investments protected. I caught them before they were too late, trying to get into my malt, and I have had 100 pounds of malt occupying more than half of the refrigerator for the past couple of months. Is there any product with an excellent seal that I can put approx. 50 pounds of malt in? I'd like to get something locally, possibly something hermetically sealed that I could even leave outside on the porch.

Thanks for your help!

homebrewer_99 said:
How about a primary bucket with NO holes in the lid?

Don't they sell buckets like that at Lowe's/Menard's/Home depot?;)

thats what i was thinking plus a bunch of those little oxygen absorber pacs salvaged from something.

Got a camera? take a picture of the bugs as someonemight have experience in killing the little things off.

I know that in Wisconsin this year Mother Nature had a bumper crop of earwigs and it is durned near impossible to keep these things out of a house.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/earwigs.htm

euro_earwigs.jpg

Large Rubber Maid containers with Schrader valves. Fill the container & then purge with CO2.

Is the CO2 for bug resistance?

I got a bunch of primary buckets from a wine shop for free. Put my grain in those. Had to split a 25kg (50lb) bag into two buckets though.

I use coffee tins for small amounts of specialty grains.

They possibly sound like weevils, especially since they are in grain. Do u get those in Atlanta?(They definatly occur in other parts of America, there is even a NY weevil, but I won't bore u with the details) Do they look a bit like this:
250px-Weevil_close-up.JPG

The appearance could vary depending on what species of weevil it is...

I agree with the others guys too, put ur valuable malt into sealed containers purged with CO2 or with oxygen eaters so that nothing would b able to live in there.

I'll probably try the bucket thing and purge with CO2. I don't have a working camera at the moment. The insects look more like beetles when they're really small, weevil-like, and roach-like when they're larger. I do know that they don't have an affinity towards roach bait.

I store my grain in an airtight plactic container made for petfood called a Vittles Vault. It holds at least 60 lbs of grain. Yeah, its not the cheapest but I can buy a full sack of grain and put it in here and it will last for months and months. I can also squeeze a lot of specialty grains in bags in here also. Its great. :D

MrSaLTy said:
I store my grain in an airtight plactic container made for petfood called a Vittles Vault. It holds at least 60 lbs of grain. Yeah, its not the cheapest but I can buy a full sack of grain and put it in here and it will last for months and months. I can also squeeze a lot of specialty grains in bags in here also. Its great. :D
Great idea. Thanks!

Check out the dumpsters behind industrial buildings. Lots of stuff comes in those cardboard packing barrels, including food grade stuff. Some have a plastic liner, you might want to discard that, depending on what was in it before. You don't want beer that smells like shampoo. Or put a trashbag liner in. The barrels have a latching band around the top.

Now that I think about it, there is a bakery about 100 yards away from my desk. I've never checked their dumpster yet. Time for a road trip!

I had to toss out a batch of grain this summer. Still in the paper sack from the HBS, I was having little mothy things all over the kitchen. I should not have opened that bag to look inside, what a swarm!

parasonic said:
If this topic has already been brought up, please give me the search terms because I can't find it anywhere.

I have been having issues with bugs around here. It all started when I purchased a bag of Royal basmati rice at Sam's club. It's the stuff that comes in 15 or 20 pound burlap sacks. I didn't know it at the time, but there were bugs all in the rice, sealed inside the inner plastic bag. After it sat in a closet for a few months, bugs were everywhere. I threw the whole thing away and went back to Sam's, not knowing what these bugs were or where they came from, and I came back home and opened the zipper to find the exact same thing. Little beatle-like things. Right off the shelf. They aren't exactly like roaches; they're a little smaller, multiply MUCH more quickly, and are very hard to control. Roach traps have had no effect on them.

I've kept everything super-clean but still see one every now and then. Taking loosely sealed food out and putting it in rubber-sealed containers helped a lot. I'm going to wait for the first freeze and open up some windows and leave for the weekend. They actually die very quickly around 40-50 degrees. I don't like the idea of having chemicals sprayed around everywhere--a lot of the stuff is highly carcinogenic, so I'm just going to wait it out.

Until then, I need to keep my valuable grain investments protected. I caught them before they were too late, trying to get into my malt, and I have had 100 pounds of malt occupying more than half of the refrigerator for the past couple of months. Is there any product with an excellent seal that I can put approx. 50 pounds of malt in? I'd like to get something locally, possibly something hermetically sealed that I could even leave outside on the porch.

Thanks for your help![/QUOT

I was having a Hell of a time with weevels and mill moths in my grain, the solution that I happend onto was to store all grain in water bottles from wal-mart they cost $6 and are about 3 to 4 gallons they each hold about 25 pounds of barley grain and I have absoluely no insects at all NONE!!!!!:ban:

A safe item to add to stored grain to keep out cereal moths is a small tissue sachet made of paper towel. Inside the paper towel, place some bay leaves, and some rosemary leaves or crushed rosemary, both from the spice aisle at your local food store. Put a sachet in the bottom, and another one on the top. They hate these fragrances!

kornkob said:
Got a camera? take a picture of the bugs as someonemight have experience in killing the little things off.

I know that in Wisconsin this year Mother Nature had a bumper crop of earwigs and it is durned near impossible to keep these things out of a house.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/earwigs.htm

euro_earwigs.jpg

I have these danged things all over the place. They hitch-hike inside on my firewood, along with wood roaches.

I was wondering what these bugs were. Thanks for the education!!:)

Back