Here's the breakdown of my brewday last friday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyetube

Reaction score
Here's my Pliny cone brewday:

1. Cleaned plastic bucket with soap and rinsed then filled with 5 gallons of water and added starsan to water.
  2. Cleaned brewing utensils (hydrometer, plastic kettle spoon) and put them into starsan water
  3. Cleaned 3 gallon kettle with soap and sanitized with starsan.
  4. filled kettle with 2 gallons of Purified water and brought water to 140°
  5. Added specialty grains in grain bag and whole leaf cascade hops in hop sack as well as the 2oz of magnum hops (not in hop sack) to water and raised temp to 170°
  6. Let grains and hops steep for 30 minutes (including when raising the temps from 140° to 170°)
  7. Removed grains and hops and discarded (Did not squeeze bags in any way).
  8. Brought water up to a rolling boil (212°)
  9. Added the LME VERY slowly to the boiling water but did not remove the kettle from the flame. Also added 8oz of maltodextrin and .5 lbs light LME. Made sure that is was a very slow process in adding the LME as to make sure LME did not touch bottom of kettle and burn.
  10. At 15 minutes I added 1oz Simcoe hops directly to boil (no hopsack).
  11. At 30 added 1 oz Columbus hops directly to boil (no hopsack).
  12. At 50 minutes I added 1Lb of Corn Sugar to the boil.
  13. At flameout I added 2oz Centennial and 1oz of Simcoe (not in hop sack) to wort.
  14. Already had bathtub filled with water and ice so I immediately put kettle into the water bath and started whirlpooling the wort.
  15. We opened the drain on the bathtub and started the water flowing from the spigot as I continued to whirlpool the wort until I got to a temperature of around 90°.
  16. We then tried to strain the trub through a sieve that was sanitized into the glass carboy through funnel that was sanitized (This was a HUGE mistake because of so mush trub, I just spilled about 2 to 3 bottles worth of wort on the floor!).
  17. Removed the sieve and pour all the rest of the wort into the carboy via funnel and topped off with purified water.
  18. We did not stir the purified water into the wort, nor did I aerate the wort (Yeah, I know I screwed up). Oh well, rdwhahb!
  19. We used a stealer to get wort out of carboy and took a gravity reading of 1.085. being as I didn't stir or aerate the wort before taking the gravity reading, my OG might be off by quite a bit, but then again it might not be, dunno.
  20. We used a Wyeast 1056 smack pack that had been warmed to room temperature 3 hours in advance (but hadn't had the nutrient pack broken inside so I broke it at that point with a sanitized sharp knife) and pitched the yeast without making a starter.
  21. We put orange cover on carboy and filled 3 piece airlock with old rum and put in cover to seal (this was done at around 9pm on 8-11-17).
  22. The next morning (8-12-17) around 7 am, I woke up and saw no bubbles and immediately realized I hadn't aerated the wort so I went ahead and swirled the carboy (without taking of airlock or cap) for about 1-2 minutes.
  23. After about an hour or so, I started seeing bubbles come from airlock about every 2-3 seconds.
  24. By the end of the day, krausen had formed at about an inch (yay!) and the bubbles were coming every 1 second.
  25. The next day (8-13-17) I woke up and the bubbles were going about 1 every half a second and the krausen had risen to about 2 1/2 inches.
I definitely made some mistakes, but not overly concerned because I think the brew will still be decent despite my flubs. But I am now going to make a checklist for every step of the process (steeping, boiling, cooling, NO SIEVE!, aeration, etc...) and keep it handy on brewday

Do you guys, when cooling the wort in bathtub or sink, cover the kettle? I continuously stirred the wort (like whirlpooling) to make sure more wort touched the sides of the kettle thinking it would help it chill quicker since I can't afford a chiller right now so the kettle was never covered. Also, do you cover the wort when you are boiling to reduce water evaporation and increase the yield of the wort?

Also, any critiques of my process are welcomed from you veterans out there! I'm going to be extract brewing for a while until I move to BIAB. Can't afford an outdoor cooking stove yet so I'm brewing on my apartment kitchen stove (although I just ordered a 5 gallon kettle, I'll still use a little less than 5 gallons of water so my stove doesn't sag in at all). Any experience putting 5 gallons on an apartment stove?

Latest posts

Back