Here Is What I Have To Make Beer With, Any Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmonkey

Reaction score
ok. so i am a virgin at this:) i need all the help i can get.
i bought the folllowing:
1 6 gallon fermenter with 3piece airlock, stopper &spigot.
4oz mt hood hop pellets.
23g (2packets) safbrew yeast
2lb dme (light)
5lb corn sugar.
12 1liter plastic screwtop bottles.
and i have a large pot for brewing.
so i know i need tubing, bottle filler,thermometer, and hydromerer. is there anything else i really need? i am trying to do this as cheap as possible until i get the hang of it.
anybody got a receipe that will work for the ingredients that i have??

You're not likely to find many recipes that use corn sugar, let alone a recipe that uses primarily corn sugar.

The chances of getting good beer with those ingredients is pretty low. It will be very thin and very low on flavor

I would suggest getting some more malt extract and avoiding the corn sugar as a first step.

Guess it depends what kind of beer you want...

Starting with 2lbs of light DME, you might want to try getting another 3-4lbs of it and maybe a 1lbs of Crystal 20 to steep and make a kind of American Amber Ale...
Can't think of one with just 2lbs of DME and some bottling sugar.

I'd actually suggest, with the idea of keeping costs down, getting a funnel that fits your bottles in stead of a bottling bucket (assuming your fermenter isn't a bucket) and grab a $25 (average) extract kit from a retailer (northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com) and going from there.

You could even use the 2lbs of DME as your primer when bottling...and just sit the sugar on the table for coffee :)

He can get .050 2 gallon batch. Go easy on the hops, maybe even only 1/2 oz and it can double as his cherry poppin' batch and a good starter. Once he gets more ingredients he can pitch on the cake. Practice bottling a small batch, and practice WAITING. :)

It's not really a recipe - it's just using what you've got.
It will be beer, probably won't be anything to start bragging on.

2lb dme
4oz sugar
.5 oz hops
1 packet rehydrated MYSTERY yeast (You gave brand, not type)

I'm just trying to play by your rules - using YOUR ingredients.
Getting more ingredients is the best advise - but if you can't wait....

-OCD

the yeast is: safbrew ale yeast s-33 by fermentis, 11.5g pkt.
i can get more dme or whatever you would recommend, trying to go with something simple for my first attempt, thanks for info in your reply re a 2 gallon batch.:mug:

Guess it depends what kind of beer you want...

Starting with 2lbs of light DME, you might want to try getting another 3-4lbs of it and maybe a 1lbs of Crystal 20 to steep and make a kind of American Amber Ale...
Can't think of one with just 2lbs of DME and some bottling sugar.

I'd actually suggest, with the idea of keeping costs down, getting a funnel that fits your bottles in stead of a bottling bucket (assuming your fermenter isn't a bucket) and grab a $25 (average) extract kit from a retailer (northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com) and going from there.

You could even use the 2lbs of DME as your primer when bottling...and just sit the sugar on the table for coffee :)

Please spend a few dollars on some tubing, a racking cane and a bottle wand instead of a funnel. Drinking oxidized beer sucks!

Latest posts

Back