Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
i completely screwed up when kegging a wheat beer that i was turning into a rasberry wheat using rasberry extract. I bought the brewers best rasberry etract, which said use 4 to 5 oz. per 5 gallons, and since it was a 4 oz. bottle, i put the whole thing in. My beer is now horribly rasberry-ish. so much so that when i had a glass sitting on the counter today, someone smelled the rasberry from 10 feet away.

What can I do? I was planning on serving this at a party this weekend at the house....it was requested by the guest of honor. Im sure if I had a second batch of wheat ready to go, I could mix the two, and then split them...but i dont have another wheat even close to ready. All I have is an ipa ready to keg.

Mt rasberry wheat is currently 5.5% abv.

i completely screwed up when kegging a wheat beer that i was turning into a rasberry wheat using rasberry extract. I bought the brewers best rasberry etract, which said use 4 to 5 oz. per 5 gallons, and since it was a 4 oz. bottle, i put the whole thing in. My beer is now horribly rasberry-ish. so much so that when i had a glass sitting on the counter today, someone smelled the rasberry from 10 feet away.

What can I do? I was planning on serving this at a party this weekend at the house....it was requested by the guest of honor. Im sure if I had a second batch of wheat ready to go, I could mix the two, and then split them...but i dont have another wheat even close to ready. All I have is an ipa ready to keg.

Mt rasberry wheat is currently 5.5% abv.

Honestly there isn't a whole lot you can do without a batch to blend with it.How does it taste? I mean is it just a strong fruit flavor or does it taste so strong you cant drink it?

it is a very strong fruit flavor. I personally dont have too much of an issue with it,....ALL beer is drinkanle :) but 3 people who tried it felt it was a bit strong. I am wondering if I boil another gallon of water, and add it in, if it will dilute the flavors. I know of course that it will also dilute the beer, the abv, ect.. but it might not be as bad as serving alcoholic rasberry juice.

I made a batch of mandarin cream ale when I first started brewing that was bitter and totally undrinkable. After 3 years it had calmed down enough that I could drink it in moderation. Time will fix many brewing mistakes. Sounds like you've got five gallons of brewer's penance.

it is a very strong fruit flavor. I personally dont have too much of an issue with it,....ALL beer is drinkanle :) but 3 people who tried it felt it was a bit strong. I am wondering if I boil another gallon of water, and add it in, if it will dilute the flavors. I know of course that it will also dilute the beer, the abv, ect.. but it might not be as bad as serving alcoholic rasberry juice.

It would dilute it, but it could also make the beer taste watery and thin. Honestly, in this situation, if your real real desperate to change it and thin the flavor, you could go buy a 12 of commercial wheat beer and bottle off 12 of the strong raspberry and then dump in the 12 commercial wheat beers. But personally i would just serve it as is and warn people that the fruit flavor is quite strong.

It would dilute it, but it could also make the beer taste watery and thin. Honestly, in this situation, if your real real desperate to change it and thin the flavor, you could go buy a 12 of commercial wheat beer and bottle off 12 of the strong raspberry and then dump in the 12 commercial wheat beers. But personally i would just serve it as is and warn people that the fruit flavor is quite strong.

Thanks! I think that i will go with the 12 commercial wheats. I would not have thought of that.

Thanks! I think that i will go with the 12 commercial wheats. I would not have thought of that.

That will help weaken the flavor without making the beer thin and watery. I have done it on a wheat beer that i added Spices to because well i got a bit to much Cinnamon in it and it worked out well. Just be sure to pick a fairly neutral wheat.

Vance71975 said:
That will help weaken the flavor without making the beer thin and watery. I have done it on a wheat beer that i added Spices to because well i got a bit to much Cinnamon in it and it worked out well. Just be sure to pick a fairly neutral wheat.

What would you use as an example of a fairly neutral wheat beer?

What would you use as an example of a fairly neutral wheat beer?

That way you dont get conflicting flavors from what you already brewed, for example, If you get a wheat that is heavy on the coriander and orange peel it could clash with what you brewed, same if you get a sour wheat. So a fairly Neutral wheat and you dont have to worry about clashes.

Vance71975 said:
That way you dont get conflicting flavors from what you already brewed, for example, If you get a wheat that is heavy on the coriander and orange peel it could clash with what you brewed, same if you get a sour wheat. So a fairly Neutral wheat and you dont have to worry about clashes.

No... I understood what you meant by fairly neutral, but what would you use as a commercial example of one (brand name?)

No... I understood what you meant by fairly neutral, but what would you use as a commercial example of one (brand name?)

Ummm Maybe Sam Adams Summer Wheat? Or that Wheat from Budwiser, i am betting that is fairly plain.

Try a couple different beers and experiment. Just look at it this way; it'll be the best Bud they've ever had ;-)

Good luck!

Back