Help with yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djuhnk

Reaction score
Recently i just made a cream ale that i wanted to have good malty flavor. So i mashed at 158, used quite a bit of munich, and vienna malt, and used Northwest ale yeast.

I ended up at 82% efficiency with a 6.2% ABV cream ale. (not really true to syle) It has a really nice malty finish but i feel the northwest ale yeast gave it too much of a sweet fuity/ester flavor that id like to bypass.

so with my next batch i will be experimenting with two different yeasts in two batches of the same cream ale. Id like to have the most maltiness without the fruity ester flavors. anything you can think of?

i was thinking maybe california ale as one? never tried this one though..

Wyeast american ale. Per the description, it's designed to allow the malt and hops to show through.

I think the WLP005 British Ale Yeast might be what you are looking for. I have never used it but the description sounds to fit with what you want. Also temperature plays a big roll. If you try the northwest ale yeast make sure to ferment on the colder side.

The WLP001 is great when you want a clean beer. It should be fine based on how you are mashing.

001 or 1056 will finish dry, if you want a malty character I would go with a lower attenuating yeast strain. I use the American strains when I make Pales or IPA's. or mash closer to 160 and ferment at 66* with Cal Ale to get around 1.012 FG. You will have to play with mashing temps but 001 can finish pretty low. I have heard of fermenting even lower than 66* and it will do fine.

has anyone ever tried wlp 080; cream ale blend? what would the sulfer from the lager yeast do to the beer?

I use WLP080 for my cream ale and have been very happy with the results. Although, I've never tried a different strain in it. I ferment it at 66F.

Latest posts

Back