Help with Weihenstephaner Dunkel Clone (Partial Mash)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNautilus16

Reaction score
I would really love to make a clone of the Weihenstephaner Hefeweisbier Dunkel. I saw a post of an AG recipe that is supposedly almost identical, but I am just entering the world of partial mash brewing let alone all grain. I was hoping someone might be able to convert the recipe for me or give me some ideas on how to. I was also wondering if anyone else had their own clone of the same beer.

Here is the recipe that I saw posted by user McTarnamins:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/weihenstephaner-dunkel-clone-42549/

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Weihenstephaner
Yeast Starter: 1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 19
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 17
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10

Notes

I brewed this and compared it to the original Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weizen and it is dead on in color and taste. I can't tell you which one I liked better because they actually tasted nearly identical. If you want an authentic Dunkel-Weizen then this is the beer to brew. Happy brewing

Grain
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat malt
1 lb Honey malt
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb rice hulls

Mash at 152-153° for 60 min

Full wort boil

Hops
1 oz Mt. Hood 4.5%AA for 60 min

Yeast
Weihenstephaner 1000ml starter

1 week Primary fermentation

Keg 12 psi serving pressure

:mug:

It really depends on how much grain you can partial mash. What is your PM mash capacity?

Whatever part of the base grains you cannot fit into your mash tun, you just sub with extract until you reach the desired OG.

I'll add, please don't just make a 1L starter, but rather go to yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com to determine the proper starter size.

I have a 4 gallon mash kettle. I'm not entirely sure how much grain that allows as this will be my first trial into mashing.

Thank you for your help!

Software really makes these calculations a lot easier. I recommend downloading a free trial version of beersmith. Using that helped me better understand the process when I first started AG.

With a 4 gallon mash tun, I could probably do about 3lbs. Pilsner, 3lbs. Wheat, and all of the honey wheat, the special B, and the rice hulls (optional). With wheat beers I like to use a water to grist ratio of about 1.5 quarts per pound to help with lautering. That should fit in your tun with a little room to spare. I'd assume about 65-70% efficiency and then you'll need extract to make up the difference.

To calculate the amount of extract, you'll need to do some brewing math. I suggest you read this, http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-3.html (through 12-6). It'll explain the process. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The math isn't hard, but it's a little tedious. As the brewer, you should learn to do this.

From my experience brewing Hef's and Dunkels, a decoction mash is definitely the way to go. Not sure how that would convert for brewing as a partial mash, but definitely something to think about.

Back