Help with water report and water softener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I recently moved into a house that runs on well water with full home filtration, and potassium chloride water softener. I know that softener is bad for beer, so I had my water tested from an exterior spigot, which I believe bypasses the softener. But I’m not sure. Looking for some help from the community here, would these results tell me if potassium chloride softener is in the water/problematic for this exterior spigot I used?

Water results here:

Anything else worthwhile to consider here from these results?

That doesn't look like post-softener water. But it's also not very hard. For all grain brewing, this water would make a reasonably good base to use with minimal adjustments, depending on the style/grain bill.

Why is water softener water bad for beer?

Not necessarily "bad," but with an ion exchange softener, Calcium and Magnesium ions (which are good for the mash and the yeast) are replaced with Sodium (or Potassium) ions. If the water starts off very hard (lots of Calcium and Magnesium, the main reason to use a softener), the water ends up with a lot of Sodium (or Potassium).

I agree! That water appears well suited as a starting point for brewing water. I don’t even see a reason for it to be softened.

Learn to use a brewing water software and you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back