Help with using expired San Diego super yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So at my last brewing event, I was lucky enough to score two vials of San Diego super yeast that had expired on 5-13-15. Now I just did my first yeast with a starter and had great results. Anybody have any tips or guidance on saving this? Thanks!

Sorry, should have explained myself better. I have just made my first starter with fresh 029 yeast with great results. Now I want to hopefully save this expired SD super yeast.

how old is it? might still be ok. do a 1L starter and then step it up. might take some time since there are less viable cells. doubt they are all dead.

The yeast is probably fine, you could make a starter or just toss both vials in.
I suppose if I had it I'd make a quart of wort with some extract and use a 1/2 gallon jug and put both vials in and see what happens.

Do a starter with the Super yeast. Start it with a half liter and double it in 24 hours. Shake/stir it like it stole from you as often as you can in the two days. Pour what you want into sanitized jars and use the rest on your net brew! Seriously, it will come out great. I love that stuff.

I've used yeast two months past expiration and the beers turned out fine. Make a starter, step it up, and you should be fine. The viability will be low, but not gone.

Back