Help with this stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am finally off hiatus of brewing and can start up again! Just moved to New Zealand and found a really good scene here but have never heard of this method in this brew recipe. It says to steep grains in the oven for 35mins.. has anyone ever done this and how do you go about doing this? what is the advantage of doing this? here is the link.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/
cheers and thanks ahead of time
Gary

It's simply another way to steep, the only advantage I can see is possibly more consistent temperature. I believe they get it up to temp on the stove top anyway, they place it in a "warm" oven, not sure oven dials go that low.

Otherwise it seems it would be harder to get that initial temperature however, what with placing the pot in the oven and checking the temp. after opening and shutting the oven door numerous times and adjusting etc. You might get it consistent after the 35 min's are over. . . . But, I doubt it.

Also dont just go by the oven dial they can be as much as 25 degrees F off.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

I do not see any advantage to this.
My biggest concern is what COLObrewer said about consistent temps. If an oven runs 20 degrees too hot then you run the risk of extruding tannins that could increase astringency.
My partials were always on the stovetop, just heated the water until I reached the steeping temp and checked every few minutes. Not too hard!
One way to find out if it works is to try it though!:D

Back