Help With Temperature During Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonwit

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got an ale in secondary sitting in my fermentator at a closely controlled 67 F. I'd like to start a new batch, a lager, but I'm going to need that fermentator. There's not room in it for 2 batches.

The ale will have been in secondary for 10 days (14 days total fermentation). If I keg it, and leave it out to condition, I think it's going to be too warm. Room Temperature here in Texas this time of year is around 78-79 F, and maybe a little higher if we turn the AC up while we're gone.

Plan B would be to put it in my beer refrigerator, which is loosely controlled at around 45 F. My question is, is it desirable to condition the beer at this low a temp, and would that be preferable to letting it sit at room temperature.

Thanks!

Well, the plus side is that the ale is near, if not, done fermenting. And if you let it sit at room temp it may very well attenuate a bit more which would be more (I think) desirable than prematurely (slightly, as far as my normal ferm schedule) putting the beer in "stasis" as far as fermenting goes.... If I were you I would let it sit at your room temp for a week or two before letting it cold crash and lager in your fridge.

High temps are mostly a problem during active fermentation the first few days after pitching (maybe up to a week I guess). After that I don't think temps on the high side will cause any serious problems. I'd let it secondary at room temp and get the lager in the temp chamber.

Hopefully more knowledgeable brewers will either confirm or correct my statement.

Thanks for the replies!

Including one outside opinion, it's 2 against 1 for leaving it at room temp (in reality, probably 77-78 F), but I'd love to hear other opinions. Right now, I think I'm going to leave it out.

Thanks again for the advice.

Gameface has it right. Your yeast is largely inactive in secondary, and temp will have very little effect on your beer's taste. If anything, it will help you get the last few points of your gravity off. The first few days of active fermentation are the truly crucial times for temp control.

Personally, I would warm up the secondary, and get to lagering.

Latest posts

Back