Maturation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post in thie forum.

Recently I brewed 2 batches of beer of 9 and 11 litters each

both batches fermented 7 days (1st apr 27th-may 4th, 2nd may 4th-may 11th)
i bottled after fermenting finish, all bottles were washed, cleaned and sanitized

first batch after 8 days of maturation, looks like this, with a partial sedimentation and turbidity
1683905846696.png

second batch after 1 of maturation, looks completely settled with out turbidity (i have no photo)

the conditions are the same, all the bottles are in the same place, non completely darkness, temperature 26°C-30°C, 78°F-86°F, definitely i don't know what could be happening

i hope you can help me with your comments and suggestions.

Are the two batches the same recipe? I think it's pretty normal for different brews to clear at different rates. Some of my bottles don't fully clear until they've been refrigerated for a couple of weeks.

BTW, don't leave so much head space next time and try to get some brown bottles.

Are the two batches the same recipe? I think it's pretty normal for different brews to clear at different rates. Some of my bottles don't fully clear until they've been refrigerated for a couple of weeks.

BTW, don't leave so much head space next time and try to get some brown bottles.
yes, they are the same recipe, but in the first are 9 litters of beer and in the second are 11 litters of beer, 1 oz of east kent golding at 40 minutes and 1/2 oz of centenial at 20 minutes, cooling in between 20 and 25 minutes, whirpooling, safale s33 yeast, the bootles are reused but all washed and sanitized

I don't think you have a problem and there's not much you could do if you did. 7 days in the primary fermenter is kinda short. The beer you bottled might have been a bit clearer if you'd waited a bit longer, but the two batches will most likely look the same eventually. Just leave them alone for another week and then get them cold and taste one (of each).

ok, so there is no more than i can do just wait, as you said i'm gonna cold one of the first batch and see what about.

thanks for your reply

Are you carbonating in those bottles? If so, are they rated for pressure?
How big (volume) are they?

You can use clear glass bottles for beer, just keep them stored dark, such as inside a closed closet, boxes, totes, etc. And definitely prevent any sunlight exposure.

It looks like yeast in suspension. It will likely continue to settle out and finally compact at the bottom over time. If you possess the patience, wait at least two weeks from bottling date (at the temperature you specified) then place them in the fridge for one more week.

Are you carbonating in those bottles? If so, are they rated for pressure?
How big (volume) are they?

You can use clear glass bottles for beer, just keep them stored dark, such as inside a closed closet, boxes, totes, etc. And definitely prevent any sunlight exposure.

i prepared hot sugar water, which was then cooled and mix trying to not oxygenate, for both batches i uses 3 oz for standard sugar in 500 ml of water

It looks like yeast in suspension. It will likely continue to settle out and finally compact at the bottom over time. If you possess the patience, wait at least two weeks from bottling date (at the temperature you specified) then place them in the fridge for one more week.

i had already worried because this had never happened to me, ok always there is a first time, considering this is my 5th beer i made

finally decided to try one beer and although it does taste like beer, but it tastes like an open beer from days, and it was very bitter.

1684193195393.png

i hope this ones are better

finally decided to try one beer and although it does taste like beer, but it tastes like an open beer from days, and it was very bitter.

i hope this ones are better
They look much clearer already than they were on Friday. :D

You see that layer of "trub" on the bottom? When pouring the beer, you want to leave that layer behind in the bottle. So pour the beer out slowly and constantly. without tipping the bottle back. Once you see a trail of "trub" appear in the neck, right before it wants to go into the glass, that's when you tip the bottle back, quickly. That way you'll have clear beer in the glass.

Since the bottles look quite big (1 liter perhaps?), you may need 2-4 glasses set up in a row, next to each other, to pour it all out in one go, going from a full glas to the next empty one without tipping that bottle back, ever. Once you tip that bottle back, the trub will mix back in immediately, because it's not solid, it's "fluffy."

but it tastes like an open beer from days
You mean because the beer is flat (no carbonation, no bubbles), or because it tastes old, oxidized?

Seven days is pretty short fermentation time, especially if bottle conditioning. They could be at final gravity by that time, but maybe not. If it isn't finished fermenting when you bottle, it will finish in the bottle and could result in gushers or bottle bombs. I generally wait three weeks before bottling. And I check gravity three days before bottling and again on bottling day to see if gravity is stable (it normally is). If gravity has dropped, wait and check again later.

Seven days is pretty short fermentation time, especially if bottle conditioning. They could be at final gravity by that time, but maybe not. If it isn't finished fermenting when you bottle, it will finish in the bottle and could result in gushers or bottle bombs. I generally wait three weeks before bottling. And I check gravity three days before bottling and again on bottling day to see if gravity is stable (it normally is). If gravity has dropped, wait and check again later.
i had read, 7 days to 10 was perfect time to fermentation, i have no tools for measure density, i wii have to buy a densimeter o refractometer to kwown the density and knows when it's time to bottle

thanks a lot for your comments

Back