Help with Stout Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerMikey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am helping my buddy put together a new dark beer recipe and was wondering if this grain bill would be considered a Stout, Porter or just a generic dark ale?
If you can help and lend your thoughts we would appreciate it.
Also, we were going to use EK Goldings but don't have enough so we are thinking of Substituting with Northern Brewer, I know this will change the beer, does anyone know how this will change the beer?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 25.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
9 lbs 3.2 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 85.7 %
15.3 oz Crystal (72.0 SRM) 8.9 %
6.9 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (406.1 SRM) 4.0 %
2.3 oz Black Malt (Simpsons) (710.7 SRM) 1.3 %
0.43 oz Northern Brewer [9.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min 15 IBUs
0.11 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 2.8 IBUs
0.22 oz Northern Brewer [9.50 %] - Boil 10 min 2.6 IBUs

Looks like a brown ale to me. Not enough dark roasted grains for a stout or porter and low on the IBU's, at least for a stout. The northern brewer should work fine although I like EKG in browns. Pilsner seems an odd base though. What yeast are you using?

Hi Chickypad, thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about using Maris Otter or Pale Ale malt but didn't have to time to grab it. My friends can't seem to handle anything with an IBU above 25-30, but I try my best to compromise.
Probably going to use a german yeast strain or go British with S-04.

Not quite what you are asking for, but when it comes to ibus both that and the og should be taken into consideration. So if you had a higher og you can get a higher ibu level and still not have a hoppy beer. This chart that was posted previously explains it pretty well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gravity-ibu-ratio-conditioning-question-123649/

You mentioned your friends don't like hot bees so if you use this chart as reference you can still have a very malty beer.

Back