Help with STC wiring woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahB

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395503746.062977.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395503763.035118.jpg

Hopefully these pictures aren't useless, but I've followed wiring instructions, double and triple checked them and the unit still won't power up? Am I missing something obvious or did I get a dud?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only thing i see different is that in this pic I have the white wire goes into and out of the outlet on the same screw. Shouldn't matter though as long as you didn't break the connector tab on that side of the outlet.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395504951.346462.jpg

Sent from somewhere to someone

Does the unit power on at all? If it won't heat or cool are you waiting the minute?i think? Delay before it starts operating. Might be 3 minute don't remember really.

I broke the tab on both sides of the outlet, but would that keep the unit from powering on entirely?

Yes. If you broke the tab in both the white wire will not transfer to the other side of the outlet and return to STC to power it up. You will need a jumper to both screws in the white side and the lead to the STC. Or use an outlet with only the black side tab connector broken.

Something looks a little goofy to me. It looks like you have your temp probe wired into one of the relays. Shouldn't your temp probe be on the 3,4 terminals?

[edit]
Yep, just looked at the manual.

First get your temp probe wired in the right terminals 3, 4.

Second, I'm not sure what you have going on for heat/cool because I only see one cable exiting your control box from the pictures. So is this only for cooling?

Sorry the picture is upside-down so the temp probe is in the 3,4 position. I tried to follow the method here:http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build-diy-temperature-controller/ Are you saying that breaking the tabs on both sides has left and "open" which is keeping the circuit incomplete?

Edit: Yep! That exactly what you're saying. I'm off to get a new outlet and try to remedy this. Thanks for all the help! I friggin love you bums, no hobo!

If you want to use an outlet with both tabs broken you would need to split your white supply line to three with one wire to each screw on one side of the outlet and one to the 2 slot on the STC. Then your unit will power up. The only reason your current setup is not working is you need a bridge between the white screws on you outlet. **EDIT*** That would be the white wires on the bottom side of the outlet in your picture.

I will be getting the STC 1000 for heating purposes.
GilSwillBasementBrews, Thanks for the simplified wiring diagram.

had the same problem had to switch the inlet power wires I can't remember which way they go but switch them

That won't help him. He has the connector tab broken on both sides of the outlet. So his white lead in is only hitting the bottom left side of the outlet and he is trying to pull current from the bottom right side of outlet but that will not work without the tab bridging the two bottom sides. He needs to either split his white supply to go to both bottom sides and the STC or use his current configuration with an outlet that has the connector tab still intact on the bottom side of the outlet.

Well a new outlet with only the gold bridge removed proved to be a success. Thanks again GilSwil et al for all of the help and pointing me in the right direction, I was beginning to worry!

Cheers!

Back