Help with my analogue temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShutTheFermenter

Reaction score
20180506_181315.jpg 20180506_181336.jpg 20180506_181510.jpg

I recently bought this mini fridge someone converted into a kegerator to use for a fermentation chamber. I was planning on using an inkbird like everyone else but he threw in this Johnson Controls temp controller at no extra cost. So I hooked it up and put a bucket of water in, set the controller for 63° and left it alone for a couple days. Checked the temp and it was at 73° I figured the calibration might be off son I turned it down to 53° and the water is still about 73°

Am I doing something wrong? Is it just broken? What setting should my fridge be on when using temp controllers?

The first thing to do is make sure the fridge is working without the external controller. Then set the cold control to the coldest setting for use with the external controller.

The Johnson controller sensor is not designed to be immersed in water so leave the sensor in free air or place on the side of the fermenter and hold it down with an insulation layer and bungee cord around the fermenter.

Make sure the capillary tube is not kinked or smashed flat. It won't work if the capillary tube is damaged.

I turned the fridge to the coldest setting and straightened the capillary tube out as best I could. It seems to be cooling now. I'll chech tomorrow and see if it's at the right temperature.

Thanks!

If you are going to use your fridge just for serving beer that analog unit will work well. I have been using the same unit in my keezer for many years and while not super accurate it works just fine to keep beer at serving temp. If using as a ferm chamber, I highly recommend upgrading to the inkbird unit. U can control the fridge and a heater inside and have way better control. Not to mention it is way more accurate.

I don't wish to contradict Beermanpete, but I have to say that I placed a Johnson Controls probe directly into my wort for many, many batches. In my ignorance, I assumed that a device designed to hold a liquid in, that is, a bulb and capillary tube, would probably keep liquid out. I Made a cut in the stopper with a utility knife and slid the tube in, it sealed well. I have a thermowell for my Inkbird now

Back