help with mounting CO2 tank outside kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe61

Reaction score
Looking for some help.

I have a two faucet kegerator setup. It came with a mounting bracket for a 5lb CO2 tank. I have a 10lb tank that doesn't fit the bracket.

The unit has a hole to run one gas line through the back wall. I need to run two lines. I am using a dual-primary regulator (can run different pressures to each keg).

I do not like the idea of a free standing gas tank. With the large regulator sticking off the valve, it is not stable anyway.

If I keep the regulator outside, I will have to drill another hole in the fridge. Not a big deal, but if I can get around it that would be good. I would rather not run a gas line to keep the regulators on the inside.

I am considering exchanging the tank for a 5lb (or 2-5lb tanks). That might be the simpler solution as i will be able to use the bracket.

Any ideas? How do others support a larger tank on the outside of the unit. The kegerator will be in a single location most of the time. I also need to ability to move it outdoors (it has casters) when I have people over. Seems dangerous to have a CO2 tank that could tip over or get knocked around.

I have my tank outside of my keezer. I have single regulator, then the gas line goes inside and is tied to a 4 gauge regulator. Maybe you could a single regulator and then mount the two gauge one in the kegerator where the tank mount is.

I have my tank outside of my keezer. I have single regulator, then the gas line goes inside and is tied to a 4 gauge regulator. Maybe you could a single regulator and then mount the two gauge one in the kegerator where the tank mount is.

I was thinking along those lines. Seems like an option even though I prefer the regulator outside with tank.

My bigger problem is the tank. Even with a single regulator, it would be prone to tipping over. I feel a pressurized gas tank should be secured and not free-standing.

At this point I am strongly leaning towards retuning the 10lb tank for two 5lb tanks. That will allow me to use the mounting bracket already there.

Unless I can find a way to secure the 10lb?

I gave it some thought and decided to return the 10lb tank and replace it with two 5lb tanks. The fire extinguisher bracket is a great idea, but I am concerned about the additional weight/stress the 10lb tank would put on the wall. No idea if the kegerator construction can handle it.

2x5lb is a little more costly than 1x10lb. On the other hand, it gives me more flexibility. I can always have one full tank on hand and not worry about running out. I also have another kegerator at a different location, so this will allow me to move the "spare" tank between locations.

On a related note, I was also tying to figure a way to run two CO2 lines into the unit. It only has a hole for one hose.

Easy enough to drill a hole, but then what to line the hole with? Did a tour of hardware stores today and found nothing.

When I arrived home I found a threaded PVC cap with a 1/2" ID hole. I took the sleeve out of the existing hole in the unit. Turns out the existing hole is "solid" (for lack of a better term. There is something in-between the inner and outer wall. My PVC connector can actually screw into the outside, using the metal wall for traction.

Now all I have to do is drill a second 3/4" hole and the original sleeve can be used to line that.

I spent hours driving around to find a solution, and the answer was easier than I thought.

I used an old SCUBA backpack I had laying around and bolted it to the keezer. It now hangs from a J-hook and never leaves the side of the Keezer.

Back