Help with Leftovers Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I have a new RIMS system I want to test out and a lot of leftovers I want to clear out. I have not had good luck creating my own recipes in the past. When I moved I accidentally mixed a bag of 2 row with a bag of Vienna and I don't want to waste the grain and want to make something using that as a base.

For other malts I have a variety on hand, c60, c10, honey, white wheat, flaked wheat, rye, carapils and chocolate

For hops I have williamete, Citra, magnum, Nelson sauv, falconers flight, simcoe, us Golding, northern Brewer, crystal, fugues, challenger and hallertaua.

Yeast on hand is s04 and Wyeast 1098.

Amazing how much stuff you acquire and how much a freezer and food saver bags can hold. Thanks in advance for any help with a simple recipe.

Alex

With what you have on hand, you can make just about any type of English or American ale you desire. You can actually use Vienna as a base malt. You don't indicate how much of each of those grains you have, but you might try something like an American Amber

8 lbs of your base mixture
1 lb c60
2 oz chocolate

1 oz Northern Brewer 60 minutes
1 oz Citra 15 minutes
1 oz Falconer's Flight at flameout or dry hop

Just something I threw together real quick using BeerSmith. It should give your about a 1.047 OG, 13.8 SRM, 34 IBUs, est ABV 4.8%.

Of course, to be more precise, we'd need to know how much Vienna and pale malt got mixed together. I would also suggest really mixing them up now, so the Vienna is evenly mixed into the 2 row.

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for, something to clean out the freezer and test the RIMS out.

You can actually use Vienna as a base malt. You don't indicate how much of each of those grains you have.

I actually dont know how much of each I mixed together. After moving I was cleaning out old brewing stuff and I thought I had to open bags of 2 row. A few days later when I was taking the trash out I realized one of the bags I thought was 2 row was actually Vienna, and I cant remember how full either bag was.

I actually dont know how much of each I mixed together. After moving I was cleaning out old brewing stuff and I thought I had to open bags of 2 row. A few days later when I was taking the trash out I realized one of the bags I thought was 2 row was actually Vienna, and I cant remember how full either bag was.

Not a big deal. As I said, Vienna works well as a base malt. It just means that if you mixed a significant amount of Vienna into your 2-row (or vice versa), you may have a hard time duplicating this beer if it winds up being something you really like.

I've made many good ales with 1/2 2-row and 1/2 vienna, with some crystal malt (and maybe others, depending on style) thrown in. gives it better character than just 2-row base, imo

Back