Help with Hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Perry

Barnyard Brewer
Reaction score
Hey everyone, need some emergency help. I have a competition that I'm submitting my Hazy IPA for. It's a wort challenge so I don't have any information on water quality, but it's a base water used by the brewery. Part of what hurt me on my score last year was that it had some tannins present. I just tasted it (trying to prepare to bottle as I have to submit my bottles tomorrow. And the aroma to me is nice and citrusy. My problem is, the flavor starts out nice but finishes with a sharp tannic bite. I added a qt of distilled water that I boiled, and added 4 oz of lactose to the keg. I feel like it helped some. Should I add more or is there something better I can do.

TIA

Polyclar will help w/ tannins, but your turnaround time might be too short. Perhaps some fruit puree to mask it?

Edit: depending on how long the beer will sit in bottles before judging, maybe you could dose the bottles w/ polyclar? It takes a few days to work in the keg. It shouldnt pick up all the haze causing proteins in the beer, so your beer should stay a bit hazy.

Last edited:
Polyclar will help w/ tannins, but your turnaround time might be too short. Perhaps some fruit puree to mask it?

Edit: depending on how long the beer will sit in bottles before judging, maybe you could dose the bottles w/ polyclar? It takes a few days to work in the keg. It shouldnt pick up all the haze causing proteins in the beer, so your beer should stay a bit hazy.
I plan to bottle today or tomorrow, but tasting is Saturday. I may look at the puree route

Back