Help with first all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract for a few years. Finally the finances aligned and I'm making the jump to all-grain.

I need help picking out my first recipe. Not having any idea what the efficiency of my equipment is, what would be a good recipe that isn't too complicated that will give me a good indicator of what to expect out of my equipment?

My MLT is a 10 gallon round cooler with a stainless braid. I'll be starting out batch sparging.

So, any ideas?

I've thought about that but I guess my question should have been more towards what type of beer. I've done my homework so I'm confident in the process, but wondered if one type of beer would be better than others to give a good starting point to knowing my efficiency.

If you have a LHBS you buy kits from, they will usually convert any of those extract kits to an all grain kit for you. Or, You could try a SMaSH beer. Either way, I recommend getting a recipe calculator to design recipes with, even if you're brewing with a kit. I'd plug all the ingredients of that kit into the software, and that will help you figure your efficiencies as well.

Since you now have the ability why not do a smash? Something like 12# Vienna/golden promise/ Marris otter/etc. and some kind of hop you're interested in. Depending on the AA% you could do a .5-1 ounce at 60 and 15-20 and 2 at flameout and 2 as dry hop. I like to shoot for around 1.050-1.060 and about 50 IBUs in a smash. Or get brewing classic styles. They have good conversions of all those extract recipes and every beer in there is great.

Since you now have the ability why not do a smash? Something like 12# Vienna/golden promise/ Marris otter/etc. and some kind of hop you're interested in. Depending on the AA% you could do a .5-1 ounce at 60 and 15-20 and 2 at flameout and 2 as dry hop. I like to shoot for around 1.050-1.060 and about 50 IBUs in a smash. Or get brewing classic styles. They have good conversions of all those extract recipes and every beer in there is great.

I've done a SMASH like that, using Maris Otter and East Kent Goldings, and another using Styrian Celeia.

That's pretty simple to start.

DrugCoder, would you be interested in a California Common? Also, can you do liquid yeast or are you using dry yeast?

Catdaddy66 put me on to a California Common recipe I've brewed a few times and it's become a staple. Not hard to do.

8# 2-row
1.5# Munich
1# Crystal 60L

60 min 0.75 Northern Brewer
10 min 1.25 oz Northern Brewer
0 min 1.00 oz Northern Brewer

Wyeast 2112 or WL810

Mash about 152, ferment at 64 degrees. After 3-4 days, after the Krausen has fallen, bump up to 70 degrees. After a couple days at 70 back down to 64.

I let this go 2-3 weeks in the fermenter then cold crash and rack to keg. It's a really delicious beer IMO.

Pretty easy.

Sounds easy enough mongoose. I know my LHBS has all that except maybe the yeast. Sometimes they run a little lean on the yeast selection. I'll give it a shot soon. Should have all my equipment in by the first of next week so I'll update how it goes.

For the first one I would try something a little dark and malty. Light beers can highlight any problems. Something a little darker would mask any off flavors you might get by not having dialed in your processes.

One highly regarded kit is Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber. It is a brown ale knock off of Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewing, I think.

Catdaddy66 put me on to a California Common recipe I've brewed a few times and it's become a staple. Not hard to do.

8# 2-row
1.5# Munich
1# Crystal 60L

60 min 0.75 Northern Brewer
10 min 1.25 oz Northern Brewer
0 min 1.00 oz Northern Brewer

Wyeast 2112 or WL810

Mash about 152, ferment at 64 degrees. After 3-4 days, after the Krausen has fallen, bump up to 70 degrees. After a couple days at 70 back down to 64.

I let this go 2-3 weeks in the fermenter then cold crash and rack to keg. It's a really delicious beer IMO.

Pretty easy.

That's an interesting recipe. I might have to brew it.

Back