help with cider please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbo1471

Reaction score
hi there i have recently started a youngs homebrew cider kit last saturday it is currently in the fermentation bucket you can buy nad hasbeen since last saturday.
i have been getting constant hydrometer readings of 1.018for 3 days it says on the instruction to leave for 7 days or when fermentation has finished but htis reading is too high for one they give you to continue to the next stage says nees to be below 998.
It also looks very cloudy still even at the top so any ideas i had previously done a lager kit but that did not turn out well very cloudy.
Shall i leave it to ferment longer or maybe add some finnings to the ciderto help it clear thanks a bit stuck now thanks can you use beer finings to help clear it up will it harm the cider thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about since your post rambles a bit.

Do you have a recipe? Did you just add ingredients from the kit? Did you add anything that wasn't in the kit?

3 days is a blink of an eye for yeast. Leave it alone and check it in a couple weeks. 1.018 is high for cider, unless your original gravity was high and the yeast used just can't cope with the high ethanol. What was your OG, by the way?

No, don't add finings if you think fermentation has stalled. It is hard to tell what is wrong without the information Nebben asks for. What temp. is your fermenter? Cider can take awhile, and opening up the fermenter every day could lead to problems.

i just fllowed the instructions that youngs homebrew give you there was throth on the top so it has started it says leave in area between 20-25 degrees for 7 days then put it in a pressure barrel but like i say its not clearing very well been in since 27/02/2010 so over a week shall i leave it longer its stored in a aering cupboard where the boiler is kept shall i leave it for longer in there before putting in pressure barrel thanks all i have dont is followed the instruction to a T perfect thanks maybe needs longer thanks

Back