Help with Carboy Deposits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch yesterday (woot!), but, in trying to clean the carboy, I feel like I'm going crazy! :(

Here's the pic - about 1/2 of the bottom has these TINY marks of gunk rust-colored junk (you should see it against the oxi-foam).

I'm half swearing it's on the outside of the carboy (like it was scratched when moved around?), as it almost feels like it has "texture", but, it won't chip off at all...

This has to be yeasty-sediment of some sort, right, INSIDE the bottle?

Anyway, I've soaked it in an oxiclean solution over night, and my carboy brush won't remove it, and I just tossed in another oxiclean and scrubbed the dickens out of it, and nada.

Help!

IMAG0854.jpg

Is it an imperfection in the glass? PBW will remove almost anything. If it's on the inside dishwasher soap may help.
I have a carboy that was once a terrarium. There is something in that one that has to be imbedded in the glass. Brewed many batches with that one.

The even spacing of those marks certainly suggest something scored the glass at some point in that carboy's life. Obviously can't tell if they're inside or outside from here.

Maybe try some muriatic acid on them, first on the outside (easier) and if nothing happens the inside...

Cheers!

From the pics those rust colored marks appear to be on the peak of ridges molded into the glass. Although they appear to be on the outside, check the bottom of the carboy to see if they are. If so run your fingernail along the ridges and see if it feels rougher than the smooth surrounding glass. If it does the mark are just from moving the carboy across something that color on a floor somewhere. Do the mark's color match the paint anywhere the carboy has been sitting? I wouldn't worry about any color on the outside of the glass except for driving you nut when trying to clean it.

If the molded in ridges are on the inside that's a different story. That would mean that something was inside the carboy scratching the bottom, like a rusty and worn caboy brush. If they are molded in depressions inside the carboy then it's just a place yeast and trub collect and will probably be a bear to clean as scrubbing with just pass over the top of them. A good long soak in a more concentrated PBW, Oxiclean, or even an acid may chemically pry them loose though. If you have a kegerator you can try caustic beer line cleaner too. That will clean glass up really well but needs more careful handling as indicated on the label.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

It does feel "scratchy" when I run my nails over the spots as compared to the surrounding glass - I've been doing some scrubbing with some vinegar (best acid I had) and it looks like most of it has come off - so I'm thinking it's all external from sliding around on our tan ceramic tile floor - plus, I've only used it once, so, the build up inside can't be from one batch (I'd hope!).

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Dude, don't be sliding carboys on ceramic tile unless you have a death wish you really want to fulfill! Glass hates scoring - that's how you cut the stuff!

Cheers!

It does feel "scratchy" when I run my nails over the spots as compared to the surrounding glass - I've been doing some scrubbing with some vinegar (best acid I had) and it looks like most of it has come off - so I'm thinking it's all external from sliding around on our tan ceramic tile floor - plus, I've only used it once, so, the build up inside can't be from one batch (I'd hope!).

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Bingo! The color match is the give away. Stop sliding it around and scrub, scrub, scrub.

Dude, don't be sliding carboys on ceramic tile unless you have a death wish you really want to fulfill! Glass hates scoring - that's how you cut the stuff!

Cheers!

Great point! You don't want one to break on you and take a trip to the ER.

I use a milk crate to move mine around full and a carboy handle to keep a grip on it when cleaning or empty. There's nylon strap sling thingy too that you can buy.

BTW, don't trust a carboy handle when full. They've been know to sometimes slip off or the top of the carboy to snap off.

Back