Narrow bottle brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenHydrometer

Reaction score
First post here, I tried searching the forums and can't find a sufficient answer.

I'm looking for a bottle brush that fits bottles with a narrow neck. I just got a case of 8oz amber bottles and they have very narrow necks. I was cleaning them with my standard bottling brush (metal with nylon bristles, looped at the end) and I found that 9 of the 24 had a chip in the neck after cleaning.

This isn't an issue with champagne bottles and the like that have thicker glass, but these small beer bottles are thinner around the lip.

Does anyone have experience with a brush that has a smaller loop at the end, or just something that is better suited for bottles with more narrow necks? I have tried the plastic handled ones from Amazon, but the bristles are too soft for my tastes.

I have tried compressing the metal loop with pliers, but this usually leads to rusting of the metal and shedding of the nylon bristles.

I appreciate any help or recommendations you can offer.

-Garett

@brokenHydrometer
I picked up this little bottle brush in a japanese / chinese store acrylic bristles and plastic centre. Does a good job. Cost a couple of dollars.
It was the kind of store that had products imported from japan in the original packaging, plastic boxes, kitchen things etc.
IMG_20210603_153016.jpg

Lighter is for scale

From where?! Crown cap?
I found these on Amazon. They're a little pricey, but I like having some smaller ones for the end of the batch when I don't quite have enough left for a full 12oz bottle. A local brewery was using these a while back, and I should have bought more when they were available.

@brokenHydrometer
I picked up this little bottle brush in a japanese / chinese store acrylic bristles and plastic centre.
I don't know if we have any of those kind of stores here (St. Louis) but I'll look into it, thank you!

You may want to check out our Turbonik Brush. It was designed to do exactly what you trying to do.
That thing looks pretty cool. I was trying to avoid needing a drill, but I think that may be my only option. Thank you!

I found these on Amazon. They're a little pricey, but I like having some smaller ones for the end of the batch when I don't quite have enough left for a full 12oz bottle. A local brewery was using these a while back, and I should have bought more when they were available.

Thanks! I like the small bottles for the same reason as you, also when bottling barleywine. I use my wife's empty Fever Tree bottles. Free, but clear. Yours are pricey for the little bit extra of a standard batch, but for gifting big beers not too bad and I prefer the amber.

St Louis, eh? There's a bunch of us here. I'm down in Fenton.

Ha nice. I'm in the city. It was 4 Hands that was selling tiny City Wide in these bottles. I tried to find out their supplier, but they never got back to me. This is the first time I've been able to find them.

Latest posts

Back