Help with "Buffer 5.2" chemical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE-Brewer

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first AG.

I'm trying to figure out what "buffer 5.2" chemical is. :confused: I've seen it in the beer catalogs and seen a reference or two in posts but am not sure how and when to use it.

It appears to buffer the mash so it stays at a pH of 5.2 which I understand would be a good thing.

Is this something that I should use "all the time" like adding irish moss as an insurance policy? Or, should I use it only if I need to adjust the pH?

Thanks for any help....:mug:

It depends on the makeup of your local water. If you can get a mash pH of 5.2-5.4 it is most likely not required. If you can't then it would be beneficial. I don't have pH strips so I use it anyway, I haven't heard of it hurting anything. Knowing what my water chemistry is on my long list of things brewing related, but for now I'll just use 5.2 just in case.

Or you can brew a few batches without it and see how it goes. I don't know the statistics but it's probably more likely that your malts + local water has enough buffering capacity without anything added.

I often use it even though I've done water chemistry analysis, it doesn't hurt anything. I think the issue might be that no one has a water that will work with all malt make ups. There is a reason Pilsen can't make good stout and why Dublin has crappy pale ales (without water adjustments).

I use RO water (we have high arsenic in our well water) and use the 5.2 buffer as a "just in case" thing. It hasn't hurt anything so far and the beer is tasting mighty fine...

I use it for every beer as an insurance. Just like I always treat my sparge water with lactic acid and, lately, I always use rice hulls in the mash and a kettle fining.

I did notice an improvement in my efficiency when I used it. Even last week's batch, I forgot the buffer and my efficiency came in 5-10 points less than I had been getting using it. Really seems to help. You only need (in my experience) about half the recommended dosage.

Back