Help with beer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nesbit6363

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase beer smith mainly because I want to start doing full 5 gallon extract boils. I'm aware that beer smith can recalculate the amount of hops I need. I believe it's in the scaling function but u couldn't get it to work with the free trial. My questions is am I correct about the scaling function and how does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You are correct, the software will scale the entire recipe. For example I usually do 5 gallon batches and decided a couple weeks ago I would do a 10 gallon batch. I simply opened the recipe and changed the brew size from 5 gal to 10 gal. All of the ingredients doubled "automatically". I have also done this with a couple 1 gal test batches I did that I wanted to do a 5 gal brew of. Simply change the batch size and it changes all your ingredients accordingly.

Yes, it does work. You select the recipe, click the scale recipe button, enter the new volume, and voila.

Actually this is a little different then truly scaling....

In going from a partial boil recipe to a full boil recipe it is not linear, especially the hops due to the higher utilization in a full boil, meaning less hops are used to achieve the same IBU.

By going to a full boil you are not really scaling the recipe as the batch size remains unchanged, the only thing changing is the boil size.

Sent from the Commune

Yeah as long as you have your water volumes put into Beersmith it should give you the correct IBU's etc.

Back