Help with an IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I have:
6 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb each of Crystal 10L and 40L
1 lb each of Columbus, Willamette, and Vanguard hop pellets.
US-05 yeast

I will probably make this a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch. I've been thinking about using all Columbus hops but not sure what hop schedule to use. Any ideas?

I would go with 1/2 oz. Columbus @ 60 and 1/4 oz. each @ 15, 10, 5, & 0 mins. Should be around 50 IBUs for a 3 gallon batch, and you will definitely be able to say that you know what Columbus hops taste like in a beer. :)

Cheers!

Columbus is nice for aroma, it is kind of green grapes and fresh grass, very pleasant. I've got great results using it as single hop in a APA.

Thanks for the suggestions. I plugged these into Beersmith now that I am at home and will try the hop schedule listed above but with a bit less at 60 min because Im going with .25 lb each of crystal 10L and 40L. Beersmith puts it right around 54 IBU with .35 oz columbus at 60 and .25 oz at 15,10,5, and 0.

So I brewed this yesterday and I unintentionally mashed pretty low....started at 152 and fell to about 145 over the 60 min. I overshot my target gravity, ending up with 1.065 after the boil. Pitched yeast around 2:30 and this morning it was bubbling away in my airlock. I have high hopes for this one despite not holding the mash temp I aimed for (152). Hydro sample tasted pretty good.

Back