Help With a Quick Winter Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
Well, after a little hiatus from brewing due to job changes, relocation, etc... I find myself working for a brewery. Not as a brewer, or at least not off the bat. However, I've now been asked to start brewing on a 25g pilot system to provide beers for one of our guest taps. Exciting and terrifying!

So here's my question- I'm wanting to come up with a nice winter beer with a quick turn around. I don't really want a spiced, strong ale, just something nice and malty for those chilly, damp days. I'm kinda thinking doppelbock or a traditional porter.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks!

What about a Dunkelweizen? Pretty good this time of year. Some of the varieties out there have a burnt caramel dimension that could pair well with winter foods.

Weird this was pretty much going to be my exact question. I wanna brew something that will taste good come Christmas time but I don't wanna really brew a spice ale. I was thinking something kinda dark kinda high in alcohol maybe Jubelale-esq. I'll stay tuned to see if anyone chimes in with some good ideas!

Pretty cool opportunity though, good luck with whatever you decide to brew!

A dunkelweizen might be a good call. We typically do a lot of hoppy ales, so something German and malty might be a nice change. Not usually my cup of tea, but winter in the valley calls for something to warm you up and dry you out!

A Jubel-ish beer might be good too. I haven't had this year's yet, so I better get on that. I'm not even too sure of the basic profile of Jubel. More research to be done.

Thanks, guys!

I don't like dunkelweizen- I'm not a hefeweizen fan. If that sells well for you, then a dunkelweizen might be ok.

I think of something else now that fall is here- a nice nut brown, for example. i have a recipe, a Fat Squirrel clone (from New Glarus) that might fit the bill. Not roasty, but a bit malty and rich. It's a nice fall beer that can be made while you wait for a bock!

What brewery? I just realized your location says that your from Independence I live in Dallas but work here in Corvallis so I feel like I should know of the place your working :D

German beer screams winter for me, but I think that's on account of our Frankfurt market every year. Just a +1 on something European I guess....

What did you put in your cover letter and/or resume that you suddenly "found yourself working for a brewery?" If you don't mind my asking. I am currently trying and want to see what other people who are successful have done.

Thanks, Yooper, that could be just the thing. Probably have to change it up a bit, but I wouldn't mind checking out the recipe as a place to start.

I don't like dunkelweizen- I'm not a hefeweizen fan. If that sells well for you, then a dunkelweizen might be ok.

I think of something else now that fall is here- a nice nut brown, for example. i have a recipe, a Fat Squirrel clone (from New Glarus) that might fit the bill. Not roasty, but a bit malty and rich. It's a nice fall beer that can be made while you wait for a bock!

Mr. Pear- I'm down south of Independence on a hop farm, if that gives you any clues. I don't want to name drop since I'm not sure how the company would feel about such things. But if you like beer and haven't been out here, you should get here!

Jakemo- My wife actually landed a job there first, managing one of the outposts of the brewery. I started out doing maintenance and working in the pub. It really just sort of happened. Best of luck!

Thanks, Yooper, that could be just the thing. Probably have to change it up a bit, but I wouldn't mind checking out the recipe as a place to start.

You could check it out and let me know what you think. It really came out great, and I've made it several times now. It's about the 10th one down on my "recipes" pull down under my avatar.

You could check it out and let me know what you think. It really came out great, and I've made it several times now. It's about the 10th one down on my "recipes" pull down under my avatar.

The recipe looks great! I may have to give this one a go and have it on while I'm waiting for the doppel. Thanks!

Oooo the hop farm nice!!! I've been out there a couple of times but its been a bit. They were working on getting the lil nanobrewery setup for homebrewers. When I was out there, there was members from the capitol homebrewers club planning the inaugural brew. If you ever need any help when your out there....

Thanks! And you too! And a lighter-alcohol old ale or oatmeal stout might do the trick. More like oatmeal porter. But yeah, cheers!

Back