Help with 56 gallon SS BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LosBarbonesBrewingCo

Reaction score
I want to convert this 56 gallon stainless steel vat I just acquired into a boiling kettle. It has a 1 1/4 welded threaded pipe flush to the bottom of the kettle. I bough an appropriate 1.5" tri-clover adapter but don't know what to do on the inside.

I'm concerned of leaving it as is and having too much protein, cold break, hop residue, etc leaving the kettle and into my chiller. I could whirlpool, but I don't know if the size of the port would suction too much stuff out.

Any suggestions? Or am I overthinking it?

12119733423_413a84fa8a.jpg

12119445495_2e530bcf6e.jpg

12120103936_1319573093.jpg

First let me say....I don't like you for having that :D

Now, you could always put a female plug on that hole and simply drill another hole for your valve and screen set up.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people are worried about hop debris more than cold/hot break getting into the fermenter. If you use some sort of hop spider or bag that would solve that issue. You could also place a strainer bag on the end of the hose where it goes into the fermenter if your that worried. Would catch most debris and serve as aerating at the same time.

Or you could just use a hop back or grant if you can't find something for inside the kettle.

ok better yet, get a hop screen that hangs on the side and the strainer. should have no problems.

First let me say....I don't like you for having that :D

Now, you could always put a female plug on that hole and simply drill another hole for your valve and screen set up.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people are worried about hop debris more than cold/hot break getting into the fermenter. If you use some sort of hop spider or bag that would solve that issue. You could also place a strainer bag on the end of the hose where it goes into the fermenter if your that worried. Would catch most debris and serve as aerating at the same time.

You are gonna like me less after I tell you I paid $50 for it on craigslist :mug:

That strainer/filter from Brewer's Hardware is pretty damn sweet. I'm thinking of just testing my system out with a low gravity beer for my first batch and see how this goes. Just needed a vote of confidence from other brewers.

Thanks.

The strainer is good but will clog quickly. whirlpool with a paddle and pull the wort off slow. I use a large hop strainer, remove at end of boil and whirlpool before draining. I use the BH stainer as well on hoppy beers and have valves on both end in case I need to remove to clean mid stream. Here is a picture of my steam kettle and custom hop strainer. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390583440.305787.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390583467.593967.jpg

Whirlpool with a big paddle, you'll be fine. I use a kayak paddle to whirlpool on my 7bbl system.

A kayak paddle? Lol I hope you removed the glaze on it before you started using it

Back