Help...tons of apples and raisins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrolic

Reaction score
I have a ton of apples and raisins at my disposal, and was curious if anyone had any good ideas on how I could turn these into alcohol. I was thinking I could purée the raisins and apples, add water, yeast, and call it a day. Would this work? Is it worth it? Any ideas would be more than appreciated.

You could skip the yeast and pretend you're in prison.

;)

Sorry couldn't help it. Yes it will "work" but you'd be better served sifting through some search results.

Macintosh apples. Yeah I mean I'd like to make something that tastes good...not just make something to make it.

Cyser... Save the raisins for another day. Unless you wanted to late addition after primary. I would say

7.5lbs local honey
4.75 gallons of juice (juice your apples if you can)
.5Gal water
2 oz of nutrient
wf tab/irish moss
Campden tab
cider yeast of your choice

1. Heat the water in your boiling kettle until warm (170 oF), turn off the heat and stir in the honey until dissolved.

2. Heat the honey solution to boiling, add Irish moss and boil for 10 minutes; use a spoon to remove the scum that forms on the surface. (Note: by heating the honey in water instead of apple juice to remove the honey's impurities, you will not set the pectins in the juice which will give a cloudiness to the final product.)

3. Stir in mead nutrient and cool to room temperature.

4. Transfer honey solution to your fermenters and add apple juice. Test for sugar and acid levels and adjust with acid blend as needed. ~0.5%

5. Stir yeast after hydration

6. Ferment for two to three weeks at room temperature until visible signs of fermentation have ceased.

7. Rack cyser off of sediment into a 5 gallon glass fermenter and add 3 crushed Campden tablets. Age cyser under airlock for 2 - 3 months. Cold crash for a week in the fall

A single apple cider or cyser may be lacking compared to using a blend of apples. Also, how many apples? It takes a lot of get a decent amount of cider.

Back