Help Single Element RIMS with Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppylikerabbits

Reaction score
Im in need of some help here. Ive tried digging up PJ's old wiring diagrams, however the links are not working. What Im looking for is a wiring diagram for a single element PID wiring diagram with a single pump. I would like an Estop in it and a fail safe where the element will not fire unless the pump is running. If anyone can help me out and give me some pointers, that would be awesome!

Thanks again guys!

Im in need of some help here. Ive tried digging up PJ's old wiring diagrams, however the links are not working. What Im looking for is a wiring diagram for a single element PID wiring diagram with a single pump. I would like an Estop in it and a fail safe where the element will not fire unless the pump is running. If anyone can help me out and give me some pointers, that would be awesome!

Thanks again guys!

You looking for a 120V system or 240V system? Below is a 120V design that has everything but the e-stop. You can easily add an e-stop in series with the key switch. e-stop needs to have NC contacts.

DSPR120 1-Pump 1-Aux 120V pump interlock.jpg

Brew on :mug:

Some elements are integrated with L6-30 plugs. If you plan to use one of these, then you want to use an L6-30 receptacle on the element outlet rather than what is called out in the drawing.

You looking for a 120V system or 240V system? Below is a 120V design that has everything but the e-stop. You can easily add an e-stop in series with the key switch. e-stop needs to have NC contacts.

Awesome! Thanks Doug293CZ! This is exactly what I was looking for as well.

I am definitely no expert when it comes to electronics so bear with me here... I don't understand how the element power switch works. It looks to me that the switch doesn't get power unless the pump switch is closed since the hot line to the element power switch is coming off the closed side of the pump power switch. Am I understanding that correctly?

Awesome! Thanks Doug293CZ! This is exactly what I was looking for as well.

I am definitely no expert when it comes to electronics so bear with me here... I don't understand how the element power switch works. It looks to me that the switch doesn't get power unless the pump switch is closed since the hot line to the element power switch is coming off the closed side of the pump power switch. Am I understanding that correctly?

Correct, You don't want to energize the RIMs if the pump isn't running.

Correct, You don't want to energize the RIMs if the pump isn't running.

Ah! Duh! I didn't catch that it was a RIMs diagram as I got here from a google image search. So for a BIAB system with the element in the kettle would you tie that leg before the pump switch?

Ah! Duh! I didn't catch that it was a RIMs diagram as I got here from a google image search. So for a BIAB system with the element in the kettle would you tie that leg before the pump switch?

Yes. There are likely diagrams floating around the site that show this....

Attachments

• 0411171434b.jpg
    0411171434b.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 0411171435d.jpg
    0411171435d.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
2nd question, should I get 1nc/1no or 2no sw16 switch for both element and pump?
Doesn't matter for this design, since you are only using one set of NO contacts is each switch. Since the second set of contacts isn't being used, doesn't matter if they are NO or NC.

However, if you want to build with expandability in mind, then you might be better off using the 1NO, 1NC combinations. In this case the NC contacts can be used if you want to implement a "safe start" interlock that prevents main power from being turned on if any of the pumps or elements are on.

Back