Help save this wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I started out with a simple wheat recipe I found here

Anyways, I forgot to get the .75oz of Hallertau, so I hit up my LHBS. While there, I decided to get weird with it and make a pale wheat. I used .75oz Magnum @60 min and 1/2 oz cascade @ 15. But I also forgot to get wheat yeast, so I ended up pitching 1056. No big deal eh?

Got it in the keg after 2 wks and a cold crash, and I'm horrified at the lack of taste of either wheat or hops. It's like neither is really there, so it's pretty bland. Anyways, I'm far from throwing in the towel here.

What are my options?

I see 1) dry hop, OR, 2) fruit

Advice?

Dry hopping really isn't going to do much for your flavor, but will help you at least get some aroma character - drop another oz or two of Cascade in there.

Mini mash wheat, boil, add some more hops, and cool the wort, and pitch that?

I've already filled the keg with it. So, I'd probably have to remove a gallon or more, but I like this theory possibly.

So I could make a higher gravity 1-1.5 gallon batch of pure wheat malt, with a bunch of hops (say, 2oz of high AA%) and pitch that into the batch and let it go?

If it's only been a few days in the keg I'd say give it a little bit more time. I've had beers that I thought were awful end up being not so bad after a little aging. Otherwise I'd go with the suggestion of trying to mix it with something. If all else fails, save it for the people who mooch too often hehe

What about adding some spices in small quantity to the keg?

I've got clove, cinnamon sticks, candied ginger, allspice, and more.

Give it 3 weeks in the cold keg on gas before you do anything. I've had several beers start out boring or nasty and morph into glory in 2 or 3 weeks on Co2.

Give it 3 weeks in the cold keg on gas before you do anything. I've had several beers start out boring or nasty and morph into glory in 2 or 3 weeks on Co2.

Noted. It's about 2.5 wks old, so it'll get atleast another week before I chill and force carb. I'm going to sample it before chilling though, just to get a feel for it.

On a side note, I've had a roasted hatch chile soaking in 2oz vodka for the past week. Going to split off 2gals of this into another keg and spice things up.

If that beers only 2.5 weeks old you really cant tell much at all about what it will taste like when ready. It should be ready to keg now, so do that and don't touch if for 3 weeks and then judge it.

Back