Help please I'm mid brew?! beer smith correction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just sparged a brew and it's in the kettle getting up to boil.

My target pre boil gravity was 1.041 at 32 litres but I've hit 1.047 at 33 litres! My efficiency has been increasing lately but this is a big jump. I'm unsure of the next step to take either let it boil down and have a stronger beer, or add some top up water to the fermenter and have more beer of the original planned strength? Either way, what do I need to do to my hop additions to compensate for either the increased volume (if I top up), or to balance the stronger beer if I just let it boil off?

Thanks

Just let it go and R-E-L-A-X. You're only off by a couple points.

As JonM said, relax. You can do nothing and have stronger beer or add a little water pre-boil to bring your gravity in line (there's a dilution tool in BeerSmith) or add boiled/chilled water post-boil to reach your OG target. It's nothing to panic about or stress over.

If it were me, I'd just ride it out.

Could always top off to get to target OG, then split the excess off and test another yeast.

I let it ride in the end, came in at 26 litres at 1.060 instead of 25 litres at 10.49, so I'm maybe looking at 6% beer rather than the 4.7% I had planned, ah well.

Quite pleased with the efficiency really!

Latest posts

Back