Help Please -Creating Thomas Creek Appalachian Amber Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcclainclan

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking the forums for several months now and most of the time I can use the "Search" function to find what I need. In this case, I cannot find what I need.....so this is my first post!

To this point I have brewed about 5 all grain batches via recipes found on HBT or BYO Mag. I have only built one personal recipe of my own based on BJCP guidelines for a Belgian Wit that came out fantastic (according to SWMBO). So this will be my first attempt at actually CLONING another beer on my own.....

My wife was in Atlanta not too long ago for work and had a few bottles of Thomas Creek's Appalachian Amber Ale. She has asked me to attempt a homebrew clone.

The brewer's website (http://www.thomascreekbeer.com/beer.html) lists the following ingredients (with no % or amounts) for their Amber Ale:

Grains:
- 2 row pale malt
- Carapils
- Caramel 40
- Caramel 60
- Black Patent
Hops:
- Hallertauer
- Tettenger
- East Kent Golding
IBU: 32
ABV: 5.5
Color: Dark Amber
Notes: Full bodied, crisp and refreshing American Style Amber Ale with a malty flavor, rich caramel color, smokey notes and a smooth aromatic finish.

I emailed the brewery asking for "hints" and received no additional info as to grain %'s etc. So I just plugged the ingredients into Beersmith 2 and started toying with numbers to get the IBU and ABV correct. Googled a pic of the beer to get an idea for the color and its hard to tell.

Questions:

1. Is there anyone out there that has a clone recipe for this brew they don't mind sharing?
2. If not, can you masters of cloning out there provide some feedback on the recipe I have built in Beersmith 2 below:

Thomas Creek Appalachian Amber Ale Clone_REV1
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.24 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Volume: 5.0 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients
Amt Name %/IBU
9 lbs 3.0 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) US - (2.0 SRM) - 72.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine - (2.0 SRM) - 11.9 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - (60.0 SRM) - 9.9 %
9.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L - (40.0 SRM) - 4.5 %
2.0 oz - Black (Patent) Malt - (500.0 SRM) - 1.0 %

60 Minute Hop Additions
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - 7.2 IBUs

30 Minute Hop Additions
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - 6.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - 5.5 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 31.1 IBUs
Est Color: 15.5 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Mash In to get 156.0 F for 45 min
Batch Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Yeast
I had planned on rehydrating a pack of Safeale US-05 since I already have it and keeping it near the lower range of temps to avoid fruity esters. From the description this should be a malty clean ale. Any other suggestions for the yeast would be welcomed.

I appreciate any criticism or input. I know that this will probably take a few iterations to get just right. Since I have not had this beer, and cannot seem to locate it in my area, I'm pretty much shooting in the dark.

mcclainclan

PS- My equipment consists of 2- 15.5 gallon stainless kegs for hot liquor tank and boil kettle and a 10 gallon round cooler mashtun.

Back