HELP! New kegconnection kit problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
So, i just got my 3-tap kit from Kegconnection. They pre-assemble them, but it looks like they didn't finish.

On my gas lines, near the keg connection, there's a steel hose clamp that isn't, well, clamped. It's on all three, near the all three gas keg connections. All the others (both sides of beer lines, and on the gas lines at the manifold) are clamped. I guess my question really is, what tool do you use to clamp these?

Another issue was, I asked for 10 ft lines. They put 10 ft on 2, and 5ft on the other. weird.

Un-clamped:
gasline002.jpg

gasline001.jpg

Clamped:
gasline003.jpg

thanks!

Knowing them, if you call and explain the issues they will probably send you the tool to clamp them, as well as send you a 10 ft line to fix that problem as well as clamps for it. They are great to deal with.

There are different types of crimp tools which are usually manufacturer specific, but you could probably find one at your local hardware/home improvement store that would work well enough. Considering that it might cost as much as $40, I'd talk to KC first and see what they'll do for you.

There is a special tool you need -- I believe it is called a crimper. Failing that, you can take the fitting out, and replace that clamp with a worm clamp. I made all my lines using worm clamps.

You definitely should call your vendor for the additional hose -- you paid for it.

If you want it done today, just get yourself crimper. They are almost identical tools. I bought some, you can get some at harbor freight too or just put some worm clamps on.

535_image.jpg

Knowing them, if you call and explain the issues they will probably send you the tool to clamp them, as well as send you a 10 ft line to fix that problem as well as clamps for it. They are great to deal with.

Maybe that's your experience. For me, not only have they never answered a single email i've sent (some a month ago), but the only reason they picked up the phone to take my order was because i work at Johnson Controls and called from my desk phone.

The guy said he thought I was calling about an order they just placed, and told me to give him my number and he would call me back. I finally had to call back 2 days later to place the order.

I'm a bit pissed. I need to get some beers in the keg, so I can have them ready by christmas/new years. I don't want to spend $30 on a tool that I'll probably use 3 times in my life.

i had some trouble with a manifold leaking when i first got my order from them. Searched for the owner's email here at HBT and emailed him directly. Even though he had gotten in from a vacation only an hour earlier he gave me his cell phone number and asked me to call him when i got a chance. He was easy to deal with and made everything more than alright.

I wouldn't go buy a tool. I'd got get a couple worm clamps that are roughly the same size. It's what i did to attach all my lines and they work great.

It's a known fact that if you have any trouble just call them. Quite frankly the attaching of the hoses with oetiker clamps is awfully nice of them, other vendors just send you the stuff.

I wouldn't go buy a tool. I'd got get a couple worm clamps that are roughly the same size. It's what i did to attach all my lines and they work great.

I have to respectfully disagree. Buy the cheaper version of the tool like shown above versus a Pex Crimp Tool (which is better and all-around more useful) and be done with it. Once you use the clamps they gave you versus cheap worm clamps, you'll never again use a worm clamp. They're cheap for a reason. And lord knows you're going to add or change something later and wish you had the crimper anyway....

I have to respectfully disagree. Buy the cheaper version of the tool like shown above versus a Pex Crimp Tool (which is better and all-around more useful) and be done with it. Once you use the clamps they gave you versus cheap worm clamps, you'll never again use a worm clamp. They're cheap for a reason. And lord knows you're going to add or change something later and wish you had the crimper anyway....

I agree, I did buy the cheap tool from their site, it was only like $8, but I'm sure Harbor Freight has them cheaper. I ended up buying more oetiker clamps from them. If you're gonna call them to send you the 10' hose you're missing, I'd talk them into giving you a discount on the tool. Plus you probably wont have to pay shipping since they gotta send you the hose anyway. They're really nice guys, dont send an email , call them. Ben even answers his phone on the weekends.

Just a guess, I think they were not clamped so you could pass the hoses through the keezer wall without cutting off and replacing the clamps creating more work. You should call about the line length, but just man up and buy the crimp tool. You will need it again.

Or, you could go to the hardware store, and buy those other cheap clamps. I think they are about $.25 each. http://www.idealclamps.com/show.php?ID=/images2/products/display/978.jpg&par=1
That's what I have on all of my beer line and gas line.

And then, make sure you send a PM to kegconnection.com, so that they know of this mix up. They really have great customer service, and have been very responsive to me when I've contacted them about an issue with my regulator.

I bet since they have been very busy, they made a simple mistake. Not the end of the world. A bit of a hassle, but pretty easy to fix.

I'm sure it was just a result of the massive orders they had with the sale. I'm sure they will take care of you once you call.

I would go and get some of the cheap hose clamps in the interim so you can start Kegging immediately! :)

Ben even answers his phone on the weekends.

called them this morning, left ben a message, no response.

worm clamps are good quality. i have no use for a clamp tool. i will never use one. why would i pass individual lines thru instead of just one? The line from the regulator to the manifold has a worm clamp so you can take it off to pass thru the collar.

you all seem to have great interactions with them. so far, I have gotten pretty crappy service. i'm not trying to slam anyone, i'm just relaying my experience.

I would give them a chance.... I had several things messed up on my order (including clamps not clamped, as above.)

They made it all right. Call them. They will fix it. They sent me a tool. They comped me parts. They always made it right.

I would deal with them again in a heartbeat... they are trying to do good business. Call them back.

I had extremely good success both times that I've dealt with them. That being said, they missed one of my emails for a few days and ended up sending my order without making a quick addition that I asked for. When they had a moment and read the email, they sent a quick one back that apologized for missing it and that they'd put it in the mail with free shipping if I still wanted it.

I think they're at that point in business where they're busy and growing but still working from a smaller facility and limited staff. I know they moved recently in attempt to adjust, but it's a game you always play as you grow, and in this market I applaud them for growing, period. I think they deserve a bit of patience as they adjust. The bottom line is that they truly care about a good product and good service, and that while they might be struggling to keep up at the moment, when they do, you're going to be glad you found them. I haven't dealt with a single other business out there with more care for their customers.

PS) For the $8-10 you'll spend on the clamping tool, give it a try. I'm not BS-ing when I say that you'll never go back to cheap worm clamps.

Another question-

Are there kegs "beer ready"? Have any of you gotten there kegs and dumped beer right in, or did you clean and sanitize?

I'm asking because if I have to go about cleaning, I'm gonna have to buy some o-ring lube.

Another question-

Are there kegs "beer ready"? Have any of you gotten there kegs and dumped beer right in, or did you clean and sanitize?

I'm asking because if I have to go about cleaning, I'm gonna have to buy some o-ring lube.

They're clean... but not necessarily sanitary. I just gave them a quick starsan rinse and filled 'em up.

I think at the time I ordered mine (over a year ago), they were giving spare orings as well. They are still in a drawer in storage for me (haven't needed them).

Check the website, they may not do that anymore.

3-taps for that huge freezer? C'mon moto, you need at least 4x that, all flowing! Good to see you got your toys, I'm still waiting for a tracking number, being a week now. Hopefully you have no other problems going forward.

lol, 3 was enough of a battle with the wife. plus I'm still not brewing as often as I'd like, so I don't think i'd be able to keep up with 4 taps. haven't brewed since 11/30 :(

hopefully i'll expand. it's mostly built, I just need to re-attach the lid. i'll snap a few pics. it's not the prettiest one out there by a long shot, but it's neat. I wanted to paint it, but it got so damn cold so quick, and I didn't want to paint it in the basement.

to people who doubt worm clamps:
so, like I said, they put a worm clamp on the manifold "in" line, I'm guessing so you could take it off if you wanted an external tank. Well, it was clamped so tight that even when i took the worm clamp off I had to cut the line off the barb fitting. So, in my opinion, worm clamps hold pretty tight. also I use them in automotive applications (high temp/pressure), and never had an issue.

the site says "comes with new o-rings", not sure if it means installed or on the side. *sigh*, guess I'll leave yet another un-answered voicemail....

the site says "comes with new o-rings", not sure if it means installed or on the side. *sigh*, guess I'll leave yet another un-answered voicemail....

If you read there site, the detailed description of the kegs says:

'This keg has been cleaned and soaked in a hot "Straight-A" (brand name) cleaning solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals.'

So No they were not replaced. Yes they come with a set of free orings (or should, perhaps you missed the small package in the box., yes you should replace them yourself. It really seems like an honest mistake about not fastening your clamps and the 10' lines. Its really sad that you can't reach them. I called them this morning and then again right now. No I was trying to buy something , but I wanted to prove my point that they are answering the phone. You should try putting in the effort to call them, it takes less time than it takes to post here. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but man give them a chance to make it right before trashing them. Make a list of what they need to fix and give them a call, I guarantee they will make it right.

who says i was trashing them?

i posted here to find out what tool i needed, that was it.

i tore apart the box, didn't find any o-rings. it's possible i missed all three sets, but I doubt it.

I've never gotten a reply to an email or a voicemail. I'm just relating my experience. My major beefs haven't even been with the equipment side, it was with the ordering side. I've given them a ton of chances already, so don't assume you know the entire situation. btw, i'm still not trashing them, it just has been a bit of a frustrating experience.

EDIT: Just called, voicemail. i have no doubt they will straighten everything out. my issue is, I need some beers in the keg asap, hence my frustration. bad planning on my part? Maybe, but re-read "ordering side frustration". Mistakes happen, I don't fault a person or company for a mistake. but, this is starting to build....

I bought a starter kit & extra keg during the Black Friday sale. Called up, got Ben on the horn, and upgraded to a 10# tank after hearing that the 5# were backordered. Got a small ziploc bag with the extra O-rings in the box with everything else. Sounds like you might have gotten shipped an incomplete order by mistake, moto. Hopefully you get it straightened out.

Where in Wisconsin are you? If you're around Milwaukee, I have the Oetiker clamp tool you could use.

FYI, I've had no problems with KC either.

to people who doubt worm clamps:
so, like I said, they put a worm clamp on the manifold "in" line, I'm guessing so you could take it off if you wanted an external tank. Well, it was clamped so tight that even when i took the worm clamp off I had to cut the line off the barb fitting. So, in my opinion, worm clamps hold pretty tight.

If you can put a 3/16" hose on a 1/4" barb and not struggle to remove it, your barb is bad. It SHOULD need to be cut off... regardless of clamp type.

no response to my voicemail left over the weekend, or the one left yesterday.

just sayin'.

Ben got back to me. resolved all issues. sold me some lube.

I took a look at my invoice and he only charged me for two lines at 10ft. donno why.

Glad he resolved all the issues. I am about to place my order and was glad to see it worked out.

I understand your stress trying to get ready for the holidays. I will get back the 1st of March from my deployment and want beer in kegs my St Patrick's day. I will be tight on time if the order is not 100%.

Know anyone who does tile install or even a friend that redid their bathroom? I have pliers that are identical to those above they are ceramic tile nippers . They sell cheap ones at HD or Lowes in the tile section . Think the one I have was like 7 bucks .

Glad he resolved all the issues. I am about to place my order and was glad to see it worked out.

I understand your stress trying to get ready for the holidays. I will get back the 1st of March from my deployment and want beer in kegs my St Patrick's day. I will be tight on time if the order is not 100%.

Thank you for your service.

Yeah, there wasn't any groudbreaking issues, it was just a few little ones that kept piling up, being compressed with my time schedule.

Back